Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    When They Believe Big
    Happy birthday today (Thursday) to two Olympic champions with a total of four Olympic gold medals and one Olympic silver medal.

The approximate distance from the birth sites of these two champions is 758 miles (1,220 km).

When the younger athlete was born, the older person was one year old.

One of our birthday athletes competed in two Olympic Games and the other competed in only one Olympics.

Today represents at total of 147 years for both athletes since their births.

Neither person competed in any of the Olympic hurdle events.

You might know that the older athlete competed on the last "dirt" track at the Olympic Games and both athletes competed on the first "all-weather" track at the Olympics.

Both athletes won Olympic gold in the same continent in which they were born.

Go ahead and name these two champions with birthdays on this final Thursday in August.

2. Collapse Details

Well the 73 year old is Bob Beaman. I haven't a clue as to the other one, born in 1945, that has three golds and a silver.

3. Collapse Details

O.K. Wyomia Tyus is the other.

4. Collapse Details

Wyomia Tyus?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    both athletes competed on the first "all-weather" track at the Olympics.
    Beamon competed on a track?

6. Collapse Details

Happy 74th birthday today to Wyomia Tyus and happy 73rd birthday today to Bob Beamon. Very good KDFINE. Tyus won the Olympic 100 twice (1964 & 1968). She also won gold in the four by 100 relay in Mexico City (silver in Tokyo). Of course Beamon is famous for his leap past 28' and 29' in 1968. Yes, Beamon competed on a "track" (the same surface as Wyomia Tyus also did). The runways and aprons the jumpers use is made of the same material as the running track (good example is the Madrid green surface a lot of you saw last week at their meeting in Spain). Nice job, KDFINE.

7. Collapse Details

Since Bob Beamon and I were both born on August 29, 1946 in Queens, New York this part of the question is too easy for me. I promise not to answer it if it comes up next year. I disqualify myself.

8. Collapse Details

Happy birthday KDFINE. No need to disqualify yourself. Were you born in New York (like Beamon)?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Happy birthday KDFINE. No need to disqualify yourself. Were you born in New York (like Beamon)?
    He said he was born in Queens. Last time I looked, that was in New York.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    He said he was born in Queens. Last time I looked, that was in New York.
    Actually in Jamaica which is a neighborhood of Queens. What other recent WR setter was also born in Jamaica?