Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The problem for Brianna is that there is precedent.

Asafa had the identical problem; contamination of something he declared, specifically his vitamin supplement. His substance (a stimulant) was even legal outside of competition; if they had random tested him during training he would have passed (not trigger an AAF). He did the "independent testing" as well, and proved that his supplement was contaminated. Even though the CAS was very understanding of his case (allowing him to compete from the day he appealed) they still upheld a suspension although they cut the JADCO suspension to six months (JADCO had imposed eighteen months).

Brianna is a bit different; diuretics are illegal all the time, both in AND out of competition. So her substance is more of an infraction than Asafa's was. This is the same substance that Traves Smikle and Allison Randall both received twenty-four month bans for.

It's hard to see JADCO just issuing a warning in her case, not after they went after Asafa and Sherone so hard in their cases, suspending them from competition and handing out a rather stiff penalty.

And she can say "bye bye" to that Junior Record.
    Regards,
    toyracer

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Jamaican dollars, so that $81 would be equivalent to less than 75 US cents.
    That's good news. Or maybe it should have been the other way around.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    There is precedent for a "no fault" finding in the case of a community water supply being contaminated.
    https://www.usada.org/kristen-shaldy...ule-violation/

With supplements, it is widely known they can be contaminated, and there is strong precedent for reduced fault findings.

With a quick search, I am not finding any cases from USADA involving contaminated medication. Someone messaged me about a case in another sport involving a contaminated prescription medication, but I think it might not be public yet (and they didn't give me a name).

I think finding NO fault will be hard in this case. They may feel that her mom should have chosen a better known brand of medicine, or consulted the official in Jamaica for help obtaining an appropriate medicine.

But if the story is true, getting a reduced fault sanction that has her back in time for Tokyo should be pretty doable.

4. Collapse Details

Top tip: don't buy cold medicine in a developing country.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    With a quick search, I am not finding any cases from USADA involving contaminated medication.
    But then, the market in the US is probably a lot more regulated than it is in a place like Jamaica.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    A bad cold, and yet runs a WU18 record, thanks to some lovely cough medicine to help ease her symptoms...

From what some media are saying, you can only get the alleged medicine she took from a handful of pharmacies in Jamaica. So we are to believe that during the Champs, one of her team just walked into a local pharmacy, picked up any over the counter medicine, and it happened to have a banned diuretic in it?

Former JADCO head Renee Anne Shirley is skeptical on Twitter. She has confirmed that at the NC's there are always medical doctors available there, all over the stadium, with medical kits containing approved over the counter medicines. She is quite bemused that a random OTC medicine is instead taken which you can only purchase from limited pharmacies - if that is the line they take.

Unfortunately, this reeks of cheating. And the sad thing is - other than this being a young woman being heavily influenced by her team - she will probably be exonerated by the 'tainted supplement/medicine' argument, ala VCB, even though the rest of the story doesn't add up or have any reason to it. My dislike of Bolden is growing daily.
    Here we go again and T&F News allows one to ramble on facts be damned about an athlete who is not on their darling list (remember the over 30 pages of mischaracterization, guesses, accusations back in 2013 yet a sneeze in the direction of certain athletes here and a thread is closed down).

Did you read the CAS findings for VCB or you just choose a narrative that suits your agenda?
    1. VCB never had a "tainted supplement/medicine argument"
    2. VCB was exonerated rightly so as JADCO made a mess of the custody of her sample including reporting she had provided three separate specimen yet on record there was only two and JADCO could not then account for the third or answer to what if the mysterious third sample was the offending sample and who did it belong to
    3. VCB was accused of taking a diuretic yet it took over 90 minutes for her to meet the sample threshold with partial specimen.
    4. VCB sample was considered one of the most condensed among those taken in Jamaica which is contrary to samples influenced by a diuretic.
    5. VCB never had a "tainted supplement/medicine argument"

I don't blame you though as T&F News seems to turn a blind eye to some athletes being tarnished while others are protected under the "no accusations allowed on here umbrella"

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Here we go again and T&F News allows one to ramble on facts be damned about an athlete who is not on their darling list (remember the over 30 pages of mischaracterization, guesses, accusations back in 2013 yet a sneeze in the direction of certain athletes here and a thread is closed down).

Did you read the CAS findings for VCB or you just choose a narrative that suits your agenda?
    1. VCB never had a "tainted supplement/medicine argument"
    2. VCB was exonerated rightly so as JADCO made a mess of the custody of her sample including reporting she had provided three separate specimen yet on record there was only two and JADCO could not then account for the third or answer to what if the mysterious third sample was the offending sample and who did it belong to
    3. VCB was accused of taking a diuretic yet it took over 90 minutes for her to meet the sample threshold with partial specimen.
    4. VCB sample was considered one of the most condensed among those taken in Jamaica which is contrary to samples influenced by a diuretic.
    5. VCB never had a "tainted supplement/medicine argument"

I don't blame you though as T&F News seems to turn a blind eye to some athletes being tarnished while others are protected under the "no accusations allowed on here umbrella"
    Booted, reincarnated as a german sausage, same song and dance. Sour kraut.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 08-29-2019 at 02:24 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Booted, reincarnated as a german sausage, same song and dance. Sour kraut.
    Buffoonery up against facts, is this what this forum has come to

9. Collapse Details

No one here knows what is the 'facts' of this case.

10. Collapse Details

@Oneway, my quick response honey-bunch:

1. True, supposedly 'inadvertent' and 'unintentional'.
    2. She was exonerated on a technicality, effectively.
    3. According to the NHS, excessive urination from that type of diuretic only lasts around 6 hours, depending on dosage. A common side effect is also dehydration. Depending on what time the drug was taken, how much she passed water in the hours thereafter, and what exercise she did...she could easily be dehydrated by the time she had to produce a urine sample hun.
    4. How lovely for her, and see .3 above.
    5. repeat of 1.

If you want to discuss VCB's case in more detail, feel free to direct message me. Or we can bump the original thread from 2013.

Let's get back to Briana and her cheating. Renee Anne Shirley has been tweeting some great, common sense words since the news broke out. I massively respect her view. Those that have twitter should go read. Those that don't, well, hard luck I guess!