Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Ato Boldon always with the hot take when others get popped. Crickets now...
    To be fair, Ato may provide a hot take as a member of the media, but in this case as a coach he clearly should limit himself to the statement by the lawyer.

Plus, Ato did re-tweet the post linking to the story from the editor of The Gleaner. So he is not in hiding.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    You mean like Marion Jones?
    Could be wrong, but I don't believe there has ever been an evidence, credible or otherwise, that Jones was dirty as a high schooler. But if you want to talk about '97, when after a couple of years being more of a hoopster and as a 20-something she unveiled the Marion Jones 2.0 body.....

3. Collapse Details

If I recall correctly, Williams was competing with a bad cold at the Jamaican nationals.

4. Collapse Details

Perhaps hiring Johnny Cochran for missing an out of competition drug test contributes to the suspicions of Jones during her high school years.

5. Collapse Details

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/08/27/ato...ZVDcuA.twitter

“The comments made by her attorney are what we are going with right now. We are pretty secure in our case. We have tested the medication her mother gave her and it was positive for diuretic, so it was a case of contaminated tablets. That is all we are saying right now. We have independent labs verifying that, so we are ready for our hearing.”

6. Collapse Details

On one hand, this has caused Ato to be mostly quiet about anything to do with his coaching, which is good. On the other hand, if she's cleared--and her case does seem strong--he will likely return to his ways even more insufferable than before.

One can only hope that no matter the result, he keeps his running commentary about his coaching to himself from now on. Be an analyst in public, Ato, stop gloating.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin-dave View Post
    name removed by mods; idle speculation not permitted on T&FN forums
    Don't appreciate the 'idle speculation' comment gh. I was simply letting everyone know what was already confirmed.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    If I recall correctly, Williams was competing with a bad cold at the Jamaican nationals.
    A bad cold, and yet runs a WU18 record, thanks to some lovely cough medicine to help ease her symptoms...

From what some media are saying, you can only get the alleged medicine she took from a handful of pharmacies in Jamaica. So we are to believe that during the Champs, one of her team just walked into a local pharmacy, picked up any over the counter medicine, and it happened to have a banned diuretic in it?

Former JADCO head Renee Anne Shirley is skeptical on Twitter. She has confirmed that at the NC's there are always medical doctors available there, all over the stadium, with medical kits containing approved over the counter medicines. She is quite bemused that a random OTC medicine is instead taken which you can only purchase from limited pharmacies - if that is the line they take.

Unfortunately, this reeks of cheating. And the sad thing is - other than this being a young woman being heavily influenced by her team - she will probably be exonerated by the 'tainted supplement/medicine' argument, ala VCB, even though the rest of the story doesn't add up or have any reason to it. My dislike of Bolden is growing daily.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    From what some media are saying, you can only get the alleged medicine she took from a handful of pharmacies in Jamaica. So we are to believe that during the Champs, one of her team just walked into a local pharmacy, picked up any over the counter medicine, and it happened to have a banned diuretic in it?
    What "team"? She is a 17 year old amateur who hasn't finished high school yet. Her mother gave the medication to her.
    Former JADCO head Renee Anne Shirley is skeptical on Twitter. She has confirmed that at the NC's there are always medical doctors available there, all over the stadium, with medical kits containing approved over the counter medicines.
    It's likely she started taking it hours or days before she entered the stadium to compete. And she declared it on the appropriate paperwork before she competed.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    What "team"? She is a 17 year old amateur who hasn't finished high school yet. Her mother gave the medication to her.
    Oh please, you're better than this.
    As you know, she is trained by Ato Boldon, and has access to physios and medics, be that via her coach, or via her federation, in a very professional set-up. So please don't give me the 'she's an amateur' nonsense.

All these leaks to the press are likely coming from her camp, trying to control the narrative. Personally, I find it VERY hard to believe her mom gave her an OTC medicine and that no one checked whether it was on the approved lists, and she just declared it without ANYONE checking it in her camp. Was her coach at the NCs, Olympic medalist, athletics expert, commentator, Mr Ato Boldon? Did he know she had a cold, did he know she required medicine, did he know 'her mum' bought it, gave it to her, she took it and declared, and he didn't think to say "hang on, is this on the recommended list from JADCO"? So many questions...but I smell something not very nice.

Let's wait and see what unfolds. As I said, I expect her to be exonerated anyway. VCB failed for a diuretic, was exonerated, and the IAAF's appeal rejected by CAS (because of JADCO's incompetence). Ato freelances for the IAAF so is far too close to them, Briana is just 17, this is 'just a diuretic', and its rubbish old JADCO again...she'll get away with it.