Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    @Oneway, my quick response honey-bunch:

1. True, supposedly 'inadvertent' and 'unintentional'.
    2. She was exonerated on a technicality, effectively.
    3. According to the NHS, excessive urination from that type of diuretic only lasts around 6 hours, depending on dosage. A common side effect is also dehydration. Depending on what time the drug was taken, how much she passed water in the hours thereafter, and what exercise she did...she could easily be dehydrated by the time she had to produce a urine sample hun.
    4. How lovely for her, and see .3 above.
    5. repeat of 1.

If you want to discuss VCB's case in more detail, feel free to direct message me. Or we can bump the original thread from 2013.

Let's get back to Briana and her cheating. Renee Anne Shirley has been tweeting some great, common sense words since the news broke out. I massively respect her view. Those that have twitter should go read. Those that don't, well, hard luck I guess!
    1.I hold no briefs for cheat
    2. you were the one who slanted from Williams to VCB
    3. you are therefore confident that VCB to fit your theory took something in excess of 6 hours to beat a test
    4. "how lovely for her" is your response to a statement of fact that puts a hole in your theory.
    5. I have no comment on the Williams case, you see i let the facts if or when we know them speak for itself.
    6. You "massively respect" the view of Shirley, which is your right but scoff at a fact (see 4 above)
    7. We throw around "on a technicality" as if it is a derogatory
    or illegitimate term. It is actually a legal construct that ensures fairness. Sometimes athletes win on technicality sometimes governance do!

We all have biases, however, its advisable to reign them in or not flaunt them as facts. I expect to see another of yours manifested after a particular race tonight in Zurich.
    Last edited by OneWay; 08-29-2019 at 11:00 AM.

2. Collapse Details

I am surprised at the certainty of many posters here, and the somewhat extreme level of opinion. In my view calling it "her cheating" is to outright accuse her of doping and that has not been determined. An finding of a potential drug above the threshold is consistent with doping but it is not the same thing and until the facts are known more solidly.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I am surprised at the certainty of many posters here, and the somewhat extreme level of opinion. In my view calling it "her cheating" is to outright accuse her of doping and that has not been determined. An finding of a potential drug above the threshold is consistent with doping but it is not the same thing and until the facts are known more solidly.
    It is a shame on this forum how blatant accusations are allowed to fester whilst a mere mention of a dislike for a particular athlete on here results in posters being threatened with or banned.
    Thanks for bringing sanity to the Williams issue.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post

Let's get back to Briana and her cheating.
    Ever heard of due process? You can use that word AFTER it has been determined that she cheated, not BEFORE. Meantime, shut your bitter mouth.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 08-29-2019 at 01:04 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    so much for civil discourse

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Hearing tomorrow (Tuesday the 10th)

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Disciplinary hearing set for September 23-25, meaning no Williams in Doha

story linked on home page

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Disciplinary hearing set for September 23-25, meaning no Williams in Doha

story linked on home page
    That's the frustrating thing. I wish they could expedite the hearing. Imagine they have the hearing and clear her. "Sorry! You could have competed in the World championships this year, but we couldn't get it together to hold this hearing soon enough. Our bad."

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...doping-dilemma

The gist of the article is claiming that...

1. An athlete tested positive for a diuretic.

2. Athlete had recently taken OTC cold medicine purchased in Jamaica which did not list this as an ingredient.

3. Athlete has medicine tested. Medicine is contaminated with this diuretic.

No official announcement has been made.

Contaminated supplements are a known issue, but contaminated medicine?!

I googled the medicine (the paper posted a picture of it on Twitter) and it looks super dodgy. The name of the company has been used here and there in the medical community, but primarily for a spermicide, and that company had a different logo. There is no website for the company. The medicine was only listed on two websites, both Jamaican. There was one random product review, and it mentioned a lack of safety warnings in/on the packaging, and mentioned the medicine did not seem to help their symptoms much.

If the statements in the article are true, Jamaica could have issues with poorly regulated medicines on their store shelves, which is a far bigger issue than one athlete failing a drug test.

But as for that athlete, if this is all true, I hope they just get a warning. Diuretics are not inherently performance enhancing.
    Actually a well known medication in my country. Had I been approached by her management I would have advised them not to take it and to have applied for a medical exemption as she indeed had the flu.
    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

10. Collapse Details

Couldnt Williams be listed as the 4th entrant and run if she is cleared?