Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 85
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post

    Let's wait and see what unfolds.
    That's what reasonable people do. Who wants to go first?
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 08-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,062
    I agree with Wiederganger that painting a picture of Williams as this clueless, naive country girl is just a spin. She may be young, but has already had taste of big time and with people like Boldon around her, you would think she'd be aware of stuff like this.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I agree with Wiederganger that painting a picture of Williams as this clueless, naive country girl is just a spin. She may be young, but has already had taste of big time and with people like Boldon around her, you would think she'd be aware of stuff like this.
    Second.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    For argument's sake, suppose she was intentionally cheating. So she's deliberately using a diuretic for its weight loss or masking effects.

    She then hunts for an OTC medication which contains trace amounts of the same diuretic she's already taking, so she can blame it on that medication if the test catches her. And she somehow found one that doesn't have the substance listed on the packaging.

    And she had to find that particular medication ahead of time so she could declare it on the paperwork before the meet.

    And she masterminded that plot at age 17.

    If you like stretching your imagination to believe stuff like that, you probably should be writing novels about Sasquatch vs the Yeti.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    For argument's sake, suppose she was intentionally cheating. So she's deliberately using a diuretic for its weight loss or masking effects.

    She then hunts for an OTC medication which contains trace amounts of the same diuretic she's already taking, so she can blame it on that medication if the test catches her. And she somehow found one that doesn't have the substance listed on the packaging.

    And she had to find that particular medication ahead of time so she could declare it on the paperwork before the meet.

    And she masterminded that plot at age 17.

    If you like stretching your imagination to believe stuff like that, you probably should be writing novels about Sasquatch vs the Yeti.
    Of course. If she was cheating with a diuretic, it'd have to be the real APO-Hydro so they'd know how much she's getting and that it's genuine. The cold remedy didn't even list ingredients, so who would go to it for a diuretic?

    Now someone shock me and say she has an inside track to the company that makes the syrup.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    And what should you call it when someone is a huge fan of athletes from a nation with the worst doping record in history, but here they are jumping all over a 17 year old kid the day after the news breaks? Pick your adjective.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,595
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Of course. If she was cheating with a diuretic, it'd have to be the real APO-Hydro so they'd know how much she's getting and that it's genuine. The cold remedy didn't even list ingredients, so who would go to it for a diuretic?

    Now someone shock me and say she has an inside track to the company that makes the syrup.
    It was pills, not a syrup. They come individually packaged. I cannot find any pictures of the back of the box, but I would like to believe the ingredients were there and that is how her family/team checked them, given that some cold medicines are known to cause positive tests.

    https://www.jadeals.com/product/phar...mpton-tablets/

    I don't recommend clicking this link, as the site itself is super sketchy, but here are some highlights of the only review I could find of this product...

    https://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=159757

    However, this time I actually decided to ask the pharmacist which one she thought would work faster and better. She recommended Pharmatex Cold and Flu Multi Symptom Tablets over Cetamol. She told me that not only does it work faster, but it is non drowsy which appealed to me since I had plans to do other things when I went home.

    The tablets are all round and flat. Each of them has a side that is light pink while the other side is white. They are contained in a white foil paper that I didn’t have any problems tearing, and the foil paper is contained in a blue and white cardboard packet. Each packet contains four tablets, which the packet says is good for ailments such as sore throat, fever, pain, they contain antihistamines and are also a nasal decongestant.

    The directions, which are on the white foil paper containing the tablets are both simple and easy to understand. It encourages whomever is taking the tablets to take two tablets every four hours, but only if the person is over the age of twelve. It also goes on to warn that the tablet is not for children under the age of twelve, and that whomever is taking the tablets should not exceed eight tablets within a period of twenty four hours. Neither the directions nor the warnings are written on the cardboard packet.
    Review goes on to say she didn't feel like they did anything for her and she wondered if she should have stuck with the name brand.

    One thing I was concerned about as well were the side effects. I noticed that I saw no note of any possible side effects on neither the white foil that the tablets were in nor the cardboard packet that contained the white foil. Even though I did not experience any noticeable side effects I am not sure if others who take it might and it would be good if the makers or manufacturers would have stated.

    As far as the company that makes them, all I can find is that they are imported by http://www.massydistribution.com

    Pharmatex in this context is just some private label, not the actual manufacturer.

    The idea that the medicine is dodgy and made on contaminated equipment is very plausible. We struggle with this issue in the US as well: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-meds-n1002971
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    It was pills, not a syrup. They come individually packaged. I cannot find any pictures of the back of the box, but I would like to believe the ingredients were there and that is how her family/team checked them, given that some cold medicines are known to cause positive tests.
    Yes I saw that, $81 for two pills. You can't find that product on drugs.com .

    I would like to believe that too, idealism (off).... If she saw no ingredients, because none were listed, and still bought the package, very dumb.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 08-28-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I agree with Wiederganger that painting a picture of Williams as this clueless, naive country girl is just a spin. She may be young, but has already had taste of big time and with people like Boldon around her, you would think she'd be aware of stuff like this.
    For those who may not know or remember, Williams is also an American high schooler, at Northeast HS in Oakland Park, who competed for her school in '18, then won the World U20 100 and 200 last summer in Finland.

    She started '19 by winning our New Balance Indoor 60 in N.Y. and announcing she would not compete for her school in '19. Her performance at Jamaican nationals of 10.94 is the new HSR. She's now a senior at the school, as far as I know.
    Last edited by steveu; 08-28-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Yes I saw that, $81 for two pills.
    Jamaican dollars, so that $81 would be equivalent to less than 75 US cents.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •