Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    The problem is that in the last 2 global finals she ran the 1st 200 like an open 200 and died in the homestretch. Has she learned anything since London?
    Depends on your criteria, will you accept her well-paced 48.97 PB last year and this season's 49.05 as evidence? Or do only global finals count?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    ....but it did in the 1972 Olympic marathon.

Sweet!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Depends on your criteria, will you accept her well-paced 48.97 PB last year and this season's 49.05 as evidence? Or do only global finals count?
    But I'm pretty sure she had run some well-paced races before the 2017 WC, too. The fact she's done it a couple of times doesn't mean she'll get it right EVERY time.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    She's one of the few athletes I follow on Instagram and she's way over-exposed and infatuated with her celebrity, but . . .
    Interesting perspective. What gives you the impression she’s “infatuated.” ??

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus:

She's one of the few athletes I follow on Instagram and she's way over-exposed and infatuated with her celebrity, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by _Jay View Post
    When someone gets as much ink as she does, I always wonder how much of it, if any, is generated by a professional PR person or Brand Manager. And yes, that can include social media posts. But in her case, it may not. I have no idea.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    In fact, Warholm has already put together the finest season by any athlete ever in the 400H - five times under 47.44 (and he's not finished yet!)

Samba did that 4 times last year and Ed Moses only ever ran sub-47.50 three times in one season (1981) with three times sub-47.38 in that year.
    Excellent points, and if he completes the season with a WC gold and the WR, I will agree with you.

But comparing 2019 times with 1981 times (38 years difference) simply underscores how great Moses was. As an example, in 1958, Herb Elliott had an epic season, running 3:36.0 and 3:54.5, both WR's. 38 years later, in 1996, Noureddine Morceli ran faster than those times in 12 of his 13 finals, including his Olympic Gold. And yet, as great as Morceli's 1996 season was, I'm not sure it comes close to Elliott's 1958 season.

That being said, I think the 400H final could very well be the best men's race of the WC.

edit: Granted, there were more changes from '58 to '96 than from '81 to '19 with regards to the change from dirt tracks to synthetic and the acceptance of "professional" athletics, but 38 years is a long time in any event. That Moses' times from '81 are still up there is amazing.
    Last edited by bobguild76; 08-30-2019 at 04:58 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But I'm pretty sure she had run some well-paced races before the 2017 WC, too. The fact she's done it a couple of times doesn't mean she'll get it right EVERY time.
    It depends how you want to look at this.

She went into London 2017 with a 400m SB of 49.77 and 3 x 400's under her belt, all between 49.77 - 49.86. Her PB was 49.44 from 2016. Her 200m PB was 21.90 from that year.

She goes into Doha still with only 3 x 400's under her belt, but with a far, far superior SB of 49.05. Her races are between 49.05 - 49.59. Her PB is 48.97 from 2018. Her 200m PB is 21.74.

So compared to 2017, this year she is:
    0.72 faster over 400m on SBs
    0.47 faster over 400m on PBs
    0.16 faster over 200m on PB/SB

So time-wise she is faster and stronger and more able to cope with going out hard and holding on. The only concern, as I said in my previous post and perhaps partly what you are alluding to, is her lack of races over the distance. She simply hasn't run the event enough, and importantly not against her top competition, for us to witness whether she will go too hard and flounder at the end. But one really expects she wont, with the form she is in.

8. Collapse Details

Because of the frequency of her posts and the nature of them. I love-love-love her, but most are vacuous glimpses of a privileged/self-absorbed quasi-celebrity life-style. I attribute that to two things.

A. It's all new and exciting to her.
    B. She may be getting paid by the post.

Her contract probably entails being an 'influencer' (in the social media sense) and that means lots of posts of her being her.

I am certainly not judging her; if she were my daughter, I'd've said - Go for it! Just don't believe the hype.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-30-2019 at 04:17 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Because of the frequency of her posts and the nature of them.
    Based on your criteria, I would imagine that you’d qualify 99% of people on IG between 16-30 as “infatuated” as well. Lol (Which is fine if that’s your opinion, just adding perspective).

From celebrity, influencer, “privileged” to the broke college student or average person w/250 followers you can find similar usage, frequency of post & similar content.

To use that as evidence to SM being self absorbed, infatuated w/being a ‘quasi celebrity’
    So matter of factly, seems a bit much to me.

For a vast majority of folks in her age demo, this is just the norm for how IG is used and the type of content that is posted.
    Last edited by _Jay; 08-30-2019 at 04:50 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Based on your criteria, I would imagine that you’d qualify 99% of people on IG between 16-30 as “infatuated” as well.
    Maybe 20%, but the vast majority of young people inderstand they are not 'somebody' and are merely posting in order to let friends and family know what's up in their lives.