Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Where is he going to find a meet of any description in October?
    Like I said no idea - jeez!

2. Collapse Details

What a meet!

Miller-Uibo was the big shock of the day for me! I considered her a strong favourite to win, yes, but I certainly did not envision 21.74 in the cards for her, especially not into a headwind! It's interesting because her first 100m this year did seem considerably better than ever before, but she wasn't quite separating the way she used to. Today, she put a complete race together, and just slayed. Nothing's impossible, but I'll be shocked if anyone (Naser and Seyni included) beats her in Doha. I think she's running 48.5 minimum.

The Warholm/Benjamin clash was the next highlight for me. I'm still rooting for Samba - I just like his energy and gait - but it's looking more and more like Warholm will defend his title. I just hope Samba's returned to full health so he can compete with the other two big guys. I'd love for the three of them to charge to the line together and have a blanket finish la the 1987 WC final in Rome.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Is it just me, or was McLaughlin more "jumping" the last 2-3 hurdles rather than hurdling them? (even though her stride pattern looked solid)
    I am traveling so missed Syd's big win, but I get the overriding impression she is still getting by on raw talent and is not polished yet as a hurdler. Can you imagine how fast she can go with some better and more consistent technique? She is a marvel.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    ... still getting by on raw talent and is not polished yet as a hurdler. Can you imagine how fast she can go with some better and more consistent technique? She is a marvel.
    I remember back in '14 when McLaughlin was a freshman at Union Catholic and competing in USA Juniors. She was too young to make the team for Eugene World Juniors that year, but was still running 55.63 and finished a close 2nd behind Shamier Little. Little went on to win the World Junior title some weeks later and McLaughlin won the World Youth title in '15.

But my point is that her brother was talking with her near the mixed zone after the race and, I believe, talking about the same (or similar) technical issues. She's now run more than 50 400H races in her career. I guess it goes to show how challenging a race it is to master, in terms of becoming truly polished ... and that when she does, sub-52 is probably the result!
    Last edited by steveu; 08-30-2019 at 12:48 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    I guess it goes to show how challenging a race it is to master.
    The problem is that it's a brand new event every year until you're at your career peak. As you get stronger and faster, the stride pattern changes. It even changes during one season as you get fitter and fitter. When Clement was at his peak and could run 13 all the way, the event was super simple (that was DM at USATF). But if he didn't have proper rest (i.e., during the competitive season), he couldn't hold 13; hell, he rarely knew what stride pattern would appear in any given race.

Unless you're Edwin Moses, the GOAT by a long shot, it's a crap shoot every time you go out there. Sydney has yet to run her perfect race. It could happen at Doha, and when she does, she will set a WR, and even a perfect race by DM won't help.

6. Collapse Details

Doha Final: Benjamin lane 5, Samba lane 6 and Warholm lane 7.

As unlikely (impossible?) as it may be, my dream would be to see a lean at the line and they are all given an equal time of 46.69. 3 National anthems played in the stadium.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The problem is that it's a brand new event every year until you're at your career peak. As you get stronger and faster, the stride pattern changes. It even changes during one season as you get fitter and fitter. When Clement was at his peak and could run 13 all the way, the event was super simple (that was DM at USATF). But if he didn't have proper rest (i.e., during the competitive season), he couldn't hold 13; hell, he rarely knew what stride pattern would appear in any given race.

Unless you're Edwin Moses, the GOAT by a long shot, it's a crap shoot every time you go out there. Sydney has yet to run her perfect race. It could happen at Doha, and when she does, she will set a WR, and even a perfect race by DM won't help.
    Agreed. Rewatch her 52.75 while at KU and she got out much faster and ran a better back stretch than in Zurich. Not inconceivable to imagine her running anywhere between 51.5 -52.0 at worlds if she puts it together. We really dont have a good baseline to measure progress because shes so new to the event and the pro circuit, and has PRd every year shes run the event.

8. Collapse Details

It can be easy to forget that Syd was still a teenager a few weeks ago. It's also easy to forget that the world record holder did not break 53 seconds until age 26. Syd has some flaws in her timing and technique, but her progression is nevertheless waaay ahead of schedule.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    her progression is nevertheless waaay ahead of schedule.
    She's one of the few athletes I follow on Instagram and she's way over-exposed and infatuated with her celebrity, but . . . it is also clear that she has a good head on her shoulders, takes nothing for granted, isn't afraid of hard work, and understands the sacrifices necessary to become a super-star. So - add in her obvious prodigious natural talent, and I think it inevitable that she will be the face of the sport for most of the 2020s.
    I believe much of the same can be said about Mondo.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    It can be easy to forget that Syd was still a teenager a few weeks ago. It's also easy to forget that the world record holder did not break 53 seconds until age 26. Syd has some flaws in her timing and technique, but her progression is nevertheless waaay ahead of schedule.
    Also of note, 7 of the top 8 women in history were all 26 or older when they ran their current PB. Buford-Bailey is the only one who was 24 (turned 25 in December 1995). So history agrees, she is definitely ahead of schedule. She has some great years ahead of her.