Facts, Not Fiction

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    making for better TV in a 90-minute telecast (inconvenient truth)
    I disagree. Shorter doesn't necessarily equal better, and when many sports events on TV take 2+ hours I don't get the IAAF's obsession with brevity on this.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    I disagree. Shorter doesn't necessarily equal better, and when many sports events on TV take 2+ hours I don't get the IAAF's obsession with brevity on this.
    And even if they feel the need to limit the TV broadcast to less than 2 hours, there are paying spectators in the stands and people on streaming services who aren't constrained by TV schedules. If they don't want to include some events in the TV broadcast, that shouldn't stop them from keeping the event in the meet.

3. Collapse Details

Let's be honest here, the reason why 5000m is getting the boot because it is dominated by Africans. It will not receive the same treatment if the Europeans are competitive. Yes Farah dominated the scene for the last 8 years or so but he hardly run DL.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    What a final stretch by Donovan Brazier. It felt like 40 yards to make and he did it. It looked like Amos would have won if it were a 790m race and finished dead last if it were a 900m.
    Last edited by user4; 08-30-2019 at 11:35 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Let's be honest here, the reason why 5000m is getting the boot because it is dominated by Africans. It will not receive the same treatment if the Europeans are competitive. Yes Farah dominated the scene for the last 8 years or so but he hardly run DL.
    and will be replaced with the 3000, equally dominated by Africans; it's a zero-sum game

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    and will be replaced with the 3000, equally dominated by Africans; it's a zero-sum game
    At least there'll be a few minutes less for the audiences to bear the African dominance But hey, if Jakob I. continues to progress, we might soon start to see European wins there.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Up until Zurich, I thought Naser & Seyni could possibly challenge SMU in the 400 in Doha, but now SMU has just knocked 0.35 off her 200 SB and taken it to another level, I feel she just has too much speed for the others to handle. She can run a first 200 much faster and within herself and have more left in the tank.
    The problem is that in the last 2 global finals she ran the 1st 200 like an open 200 and died in the homestretch. Has she learned anything since London?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    IMO SMU is way more of a "lock" in the 400. She doesn't even have to PR and she could likely win the 400m. In the 200m, she could run another PB and still lose if 2 ladies in that race run just slightly slower than their PB.
    Au contraire, I can easily envision 48.96 not being sufficient to win, while I don't see her losing while running 21.75.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The problem is that it's a brand new event every year until you're at your career peak. As you get stronger and faster, the stride pattern changes. It even changes during one season as you get fitter and fitter. When Clement was at his peak and could run 13 all the way, the event was super simple (that was DM at USATF). But if he didn't have proper rest (i.e., during the competitive season), he couldn't hold 13; hell, he rarely knew what stride pattern would appear in any given race.

Unless you're Edwin Moses, the GOAT by a long shot, it's a crap shoot every time you go out there. Sydney has yet to run her perfect race. It could happen at Doha, and when she does, she will set a WR, and even a perfect race by DM won't help.
    Atticus, thanks for those points. Assuming you know more about hurdling than I, the points about "brand new event every year" and "changes when you get fitter and fitter" are ones I had not considered. Yes, Moses was a model of consistency that few, if any, have ever matched.

But where spikes007 says "she's so new to the event," I disagree. This is her 6th year running it, at least 8 races each year, and she was at 55.63 in her first year doing the event back in '14. But sure, new to the pro circuit and throwing in the points Atticus made, I understand the technical challenges.

And all that said, the points made by others regarding Clement are interesting. I didn't realize he actually ran his PR at age 20. That's tough. Of course, he did win his Olympic gold in '16, so that I'm sure significantly lessens any disappointment of running so many years and not being able to beat your best mark. And it's not like he wasn't close many years.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    I disagree. Shorter doesn't necessarily equal better,
    ....but it did in the 1972 Olympic marathon.