Facts, Not Fiction

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    The number of 400s SMU has run all season has no negative or positive bearing on what she will do in Doha.
    Conceivably, she can go 50.8 (not sure she can run that slow) and 50.0 in her semis then a 23.5/35.2/13.0. I can see Naser at best 48.6 or 48.7. If SMU goes 23.5 she guns down anyone coming home. If she goes 22.9 she is much stronger now and wont be caught.

By the way, glad to see you have ditched the SMU lane 7 refrain!
    You don't know whether only running 3 x 400s will be detrimental or not until we get to Doha. But it's generally accepted that running 400 is all about pacing, and more races means you're more practised and know your rhythm.
    Of course, shes been so fast this year it shouldn't matter, but it's a possible weakness.

I haven't ditched the lane choice. At 6'1 she ain't running 21 74 from lane 3

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Samba could most probably run in the high 47s and still take a medal. Who else apart from Warholm and Benjamin is going to beat him if he does?
    Even 48-low could be sufficient to medal. This year the fastest by anybody not named Warholm, Benjamin or Samba is 48.30.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Samba could most probably run in the high 47s and still take a medal. Who else apart from Warholm and Benjamin is going to beat him if he does?
    Of course technically he could do that but he wont. If fit he is certainly not let the other two have their way which means we could possibly be looking at three 46s races for medals as someone else mentioned already. All three will have gold medal aspirations which means they will fight each other to the breaking point.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Even 48-low could be sufficient to medal. This year the fastest by anybody not named Warholm, Benjamin or Samba is 48.30.
    I expect at least a couple of second-tier athletes will peak well, and I won't be surprised if at least one breaks 48. But it's hard to see anyone apart from the big three getting into 47.50-and-under territory.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    You don't know whether only running 3 x 400s will be detrimental or not until we get to Doha. But it's generally accepted that running 400 is all about pacing, and more races means you're more practised and know your rhythm.
    Of course, shes been so fast this year it shouldn't matter, but it's a possible weakness.

Its just been amazing to watch her bring the speed this year. The last athlete to bring sub 21.75 speed into a 400 was Marita Koch. She is the only one on record to bring sub 34.5 speed (ignoring split times) into the 400m.

SMU's preparation has always been different from that of Naser. Being a strength quarter miler, Naser needs more races to get to her best form. Being a speed quarter miler Shaunae focuses on that. This is why she can come out at 49 mid to low and stay there.

She declared after her first 48s performance that she and her coach have finally settled on a race model that she likes. Prior to that she would always say they are experimenting with different ones. Don't know why that was necessary to do but only her coach will have the answer to that one. It may have cost her at least one gold medal.

Notwithstanding, we only have a few weeks to see the work they have done..

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionking View Post
    The last athlete to bring sub 21.75 speed into a 400 was Marita Koch. .
    Alyson Felix 21.69
    Gwen Torrence and Grace Jackson, both 21.72

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Alyson Felix 21.69
    Gwen Torrence and Grace Jackson, both 21.72
    But...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by reggaeirie1234 View Post
    But...
    Wow - talk about not seeing the forest for the trees . . .

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Wow - talk about not seeing the forest for the trees . . .
    Lmao..

Koch ran 21.78 into a -1.3 the year she's set that WR. Coincidentally she did that time in August as well. The WR run followed in October that year.
    Last edited by scorpionking; 08-31-2019 at 03:06 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post

I will say this, she is running at least 21.74 from any lane 3-8 if the wind was 1.0.

A close look at her three 400s this season sees a settled race pattern. She does not need a plethora of 400s to stay with her race model, however, i do understand that her 2016 and 2017 championship models makes her open to questions.