Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Madrid

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I could find all sorts of information on the website for the meet, just not results. Are they posted somewhere?

http://rfealive.com/schedule/MAD2019ALD

2. Collapse Details

Despite the time/placing, Bowie looked pretty good to me. I too think she will be ready given there's still over a month left. However, being ready and challenging for gold are are two separate things given that I expect Fraser-Pryce and Thompson to be in sub 10.8 shape. Still, Bowie should be a definite medal contender.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I could find all sorts of information on the website for the meet, just not results. Are they posted somewhere?
    Full results here:
    http://resultados.rfea.es/2019/airelibre/al_madrid.pdf

4. Collapse Details

The weirdest thing about the stadium was that the track and the outer part of the infield are the same color, so you can hardly tell where the track ends and the infield begins. Very odd. I watched the meet with half an eye on NBC Gold. Asafa pulled up with a hammy with about 15 meters to go, but Rodgers already had him beaten. Jimmy Vicaut was 2nd, 10.05 (+1.6).

Shannon Rowbury ran 4:15.65 (8th) for 1500 in a race won by Shannon Osika in 4:12.31.
    Alfred Kipketer ran 1:44.50 SB, Orlando Ortega 13.32 (+1.5), Kemar Mowatt 48.89, Dzmitry Nabokau 2.30 (he should have been in Paris!! >:-).

In Euro meetings, Russians can compete as such. Polina Miller (good Slavic name) set a N U20 R 51.00 for W 400, ahead of Jade Stepter, 51.18 SB.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    In Euro meetings, Russians can compete as such.
    They can't compete as such outside of Russia.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Yes, they're still from the great nation of ANA.

I'm going to go off on my second pacemaking rant in 2 days ... But, this time it was way too slow. Where did they find that pacemaker for the women's 1500? She took them round in 68/72 for 2:20 when I'm sure a field of that quality would have requested 2:10/2:11. I felt sure that one of them was going to say, "To hell with this", and pass her but no-one did until she dropped out at 1000.

Should be noted that Anna Dibaba (PB 4:15 and 12th here) must be the postman's daughter!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Well, Polina Miller was listed as from Russia in the results.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    Yes, they're still from the great nation of ANA.

I'm going to go off on my second pacemaking rant in 2 days ... But, this time it was way too slow. Where did they find that pacemaker for the women's 1500? She took them round in 68/72 for 2:20 when I'm sure a field of that quality would have requested 2:10/2:11. I felt sure that one of them was going to say, "To hell with this", and pass her but no-one did until she dropped out at 1000.

Should be noted that Anna Dibaba (PB 4:15 and 12th here) must be the postman's daughter!

Madrid pacer for women's 1500 was suppose to run 2:11/2:12. Some of the women in that race were looking for an Olympic qualifying time for Tokyo. At the 500 meter mark, it was clear that the pacer was confused about her target time. The group refused to pass her until she dropped out at the 1000.
    I have a feeling the pacer did the math wrong in her head, or she might have thought she needed to be 2:11 at the finish line with two laps to go. I don't understand why someone in that group didn't take the lead after the first 500. And why did the announcers act as if the pacer did her job? One of them remarked at 1000m that the pacer's job was finished. Nothing about how awful it was. They had no clue that the race had been completely botched by the pacer! I sure hope Osika got a nice paycheck for winning that race. I believe she closed in 60 seconds for the last lap.
    Last edited by TWalsh; 08-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    Madrid pacer for women's 1500 was suppose to run 2:11/2:12. Some of the women in that race were looking for an Olympic qualifying time for Tokyo. At the 500 meter mark, it was clear that the pacer was confused about her target time. The group refused to pass her until she dropped out at the 1000.
    I have a feeling the pacer did the math wrong in her head, or she might have thought she needed to be 2:11 at the finish line with two laps to go. I don't understand why someone in that group didn't take the lead after the first 500. And why did the announcers act as if the pacer did her job? One of them remarked at 1000m that the pacer's job was finished. Nothing about how awful it was. They had no clue that the race had been completely botched by the pacer! I sure hope Osika got a nice paycheck for winning that race. I believe she closed in 60 seconds for the last lap.
    It was probably a rhetorical question but I'll tell you anyway ... 1st place prize money for EAA Premium Meeting events must be a minimum of 2000 EUR for "A" events (which the 1500 last night was). So, not a huge amount (presuming the meeting only pays the minimum necessary) and I doubt she'd be getting any appearance fee.

https://www.european-athletics.org/m...gs_English.pdf

I was watching Spanish video of the meeting but, only knowing a few words of Spanish, I've no idea what they said about the pacing!
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 08-26-2019 at 10:43 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Ivet Lalova-Collio ran her equal 8th best time in the final with 11.08 (+0.4) after a 11.17 (+0.4) heat. If you discount her 10.77, it's equal 7th fastest.

I discussed her fastest ever 200m opener in Osaka here. After this and an 11.28 100m opener, she appeared to go back into heavy training as her times slowed significantly.

She now looks to be peaking well, and her 11.08/22.55 and up their with her best doubling years of 2015 and 2016 where she ran 11.09/22.32 and 11.11/22.42, respectively.