Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Spring, Summer, and Fall
    Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion who competed in two Olympics and won gold at the first of those two Games.

Our birthday athlete was born approximately 10,532 miles (16,950 km) from the Olympic stadium where this person won that Olympic gold medal.

You might already know that this champion set a new world record in winning that gold medal.

No hurdles were involved in this gold medal.

Don't worry about South America, Europe, or Africa when wondering were our birthday athlete was born.

This champion won the Olympic gold medal in one of the three continents mentioned in the previous sentence.

Did I tell you that this athlete was born 125 years ago today and died at the age of 60 on the one-year anniversary of Roger Bannister's first sub-four minute mile?

Garry Hill and our birthday person share something in common in track and field.

I realize the exact date of death for our birthday champion is not known, but it is pretty close to the one-year anniversary of Bannister's famous mile (close enough for this quiz).

Now is the time to name this Olympic champion with a birthday in the last week of August.

2. Collapse Details

Wild guess. Jack Lovelock

3. Collapse Details

Ahh. Wildly wrong. Lovelock wasn’t 42 when he won in Berlin

4. Collapse Details

Guessing an Australian
    As only NZ and Australia are that far from Europe and Lovelock was our first gold medallist; hence Australia
    Last edited by Tuariki; 08-25-2019 at 07:42 PM.

5. Collapse Details

With the title spring, summer, and fall, it must be Nick Winter, who was likely born in Australia - I didn't check

6. Collapse Details

Yeah, it was Nick Winter Bambam. I subsequently guessed it was the TJ (as I remembered an Aussie had won the TJ in the 20s) but I couldn’t remember Winter’s name

7. Collapse Details

Nick Winter it is, bambam1729. Very good. Nick Winter (Australia) won the 1924 Olympic gold medal in the triple jump with a world record jump of 15.52 (50' 11"). Winter competed four years later in Amsterdam, but did not make the triple jump final.

8. Collapse Details

What is connection with gh? I thought Canadian but mileage was not consistent. Did gh do the TJ in college? What was his distance compared to Nick Winter?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    What is connection with gh? I thought Canadian but mileage was not consistent. Did gh do the TJ in college? What was his distance compared to Nick Winter?
    EGH did do the triple jump at Washington State

10. Collapse Details

Not sure who jumped longer: Garry or Nick.