Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    It's interesting to compare the injury history of a guy like Luck or Ben Roethlisberger, to someone like Tom Brady, who hasnt missed a game before or since his 2008 ACL injury.
    It seems counter-intuitive but the durability of NFL quarterbacks seems to be inversely proportional to their athleticism.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Part of Brady's consistency has been the consistency of his Offensive Line year in and year out.
    Brady also helps out his OL by not hanging on to the ball very long as part of a shorter passing game.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Part of Brady's consistency has been the consistency of his Offensive Line year in and year out.
    His willingness to give the Patriots hometown deals year after year, rather than squeeze every penny out of them like most franchise quarterbacks do, has made it possible for the Patriots provide him with good offensive lines throughout his career. Remember, Peyton Manning won his Super Bowl with the Broncos the year after he took a pay cut. The majority of the Super Bowls over the last 20 years have been won by quarterbacks who are still playing under their rookie contracts or who are making less than top dollars for the quarterback position.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    His willingness to give the Patriots hometown deals year after year, rather than squeeze every penny out of them like most franchise quarterbacks do, has made it possible for the Patriots provide him with good offensive lines throughout his career. Remember, Peyton Manning won his Super Bowl with the Broncos the year after he took a pay cut. The majority of the Super Bowls over the last 20 years have been won by quarterbacks who are still playing under their rookie contracts or who are making less than top dollars for the quarterback position.
    I agree that Brady not taking top dollar helps the rest of the overall roster but the last 2 or 3 years, the Patriots spending on the OL has been towards the bottom of the league.

I've long thought that Brady's ability to get rid of the ball has helped make the OL of the Patriots look better in the passing game. That doesn't mean the OL isn't talented but it's probable that with another QB and even another good QB back there that the OL suddenly doesn't pass block as well.

Meanwhile their rushing offense in terms of yards per attempt has been middle to more towards the bottom over the last 5 years.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    So you're saying the team and his teammates are not screwed by his last-minute exit? Please explain
    The situation absolutely does screw them, but he was trying his best to rehab and keep playing (in pain, as he has in the past!), and finally had to face the fact that he'd just be a liability by trying to hang on. Plus the reality of his long-tern health was kicking in.
    To impute intent to 'screw' people is what I was referring to.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....

"I'm surprised there aren't even more "WHAT DOES ANDREW LUCK'S RETIREMENT MEAN FOR THE FUTURE OF FOOTBALL?" takes. Not really many/any good precedents for a quarterback like this retiring at his age."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...mpression=true

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    It seems counter-intuitive but the durability of NFL quarterbacks seems to be inversely proportional to their athleticism.
    Makes sense. The more athletic guys seem to invite, initiate or at least run into trouble. In my mind's eye I can see Manning (6'5" 235 lbs+) just flailing to the ground at the slightest hint of trouble. Smart! He lasted for so long. Brady folds pretty quickly as well. They know, since they don't have the skills to escape, that it's better to live to fight another day.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Makes sense. The more athletic guys seem to invite, initiate or at least run into trouble. In my mind's eye I can see Manning (6'5" 235 lbs+) just flailing to the ground at the slightest hint of trouble. Smart! He lasted for so long. Brady folds pretty quickly as well. They know, since they don't have the skills to escape, that it's better to live to fight another day.
    Yeah, I've seen Manning give himself up many times when he knew an unavoidable hit was imminent.

9. Collapse Details

I don't follow American football all that much these days, but I recall Luck being praised for how hard he played, and for many exciting comebacks.

In the 4 seasons 2012-2015, he was hit more than any other NFL QB.

This article from about a year ago is an informative timeline of his injuries, to that date:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/16/...e-colts-return

And the year since has brought more.

I am aware that he did all of this voluntarily, and he has made a boatload of money in the process. But I will guess that he started out playing this sport because he enjoyed it, and that he would rather be healthy and playing than injured and retired at29. So, he has my sympathies, and I wish him well in recovering his health.

10. Collapse Details

A tweet from Doug Gottlieb, who is pretty much a douchebag sports commentator on FS1: "Retiring cause rehabbing is “too hard” is the most millennial thing ever"

And a classic rejoinder tweet from Troy Aikman:
    "That’s total bullshit Doug. What qualifies you to decide how someone should live their life? So you’re now the authority on what motivates Andrew Luck? And if his decisions don’t fit into what you think is best for him then you rip him? Guess that keeps you employed on FS1. Nice"