Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have been a huge Luck fan since his first game on the Farm. Drove to Miami to see him in a great win over VT in the 2011 Orange Bowl, and then rooted for him in Indy. He owes us nothing more, and I wish him all the best.
    I have to say of all the recent mega talented QB first round draft picks in the last 20 years, Id put Andrew Luck at the top of the list. Not sure we will ever see that breadth of talents in one player ever again. Having said that, I cant quite say that the entirety of his under performance with the Colts was due only to a sub par OL. He did not seem as sharp in this throwing decisions in the NFL as I would have projected based on this college career.

The truth is that making sure you dont get hit is the second most important job every QB in the NFL has to make every play of every game. The team just cant afford to have an injured QB. It is a very tough game but it was Andrew's job on the field to make sure he put his body first. Not really true with the other positions, you can exchange most other players and not cost the team that much, but the QB is different, the entire offense depends on him. Maybe he was just too tough for his own good.
    Last edited by user4; 08-27-2019 at 09:02 PM.

2. Collapse Details

I'd pick Cam...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    I'd pick Cam...
    You cant go wrong with Cam!

4. Collapse Details

On paper, Luck is liable for paying back $24.8 million of signing bonuses due to retiring before completing his contract, although the Colts at this time have said they won't pursue that money.

For the sake of the players and the league, I hope they'll revamp those signing bonuses, either to make them nonrefundable* upon retirement, or just get rid of them and pay bigger salaries. If a player wants to retire because they don't want to absorb more blows to their head and body, don't put pressure on them to keep playing if they can't afford to pay it back. They'll just half-ass it and the team won't get their money's worth anyway.

Yes, the players have a responsibility to avoid spending that money before it's fully theirs, but it's a little more complicated than that. The amount they received was after taxes, but the amount they have to pay back is the full pre-tax gross, so they're around 40% short of what they need to pay back. There are tax rules that allow using the repayment to reduce their tax bill, in effect to undo the taxes they paid on the amount when it was received, but that gets difficult if they don't have enough other income in the year of repayment to deduct against.

And this isn't about feeling sorry for multimillionaires. The NFL median salary is under $900,000, and the median NFL career is under 4 years. Now that they've decided against pursuing the money from Andrew Luck, who probably could handle the repayment without sweating, I wonder if they'll do the same for the $600,000/year player who'll have to sell the house he bought for his mother in order to pay back the money.

*perhaps with strings attached, such as having to repay it only if they come out of retirement to play for a different team

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post

For the sake of the players and the league, I hope they'll revamp those signing bonuses, either to make them nonrefundable* upon retirement, or just get rid of them and pay bigger salaries. If a player wants to retire because they don't want to absorb more blows to their head and body, don't put pressure on them to keep playing if they can't afford to pay it back. They'll just half-ass it and the team won't get their money's worth anyway.
    The signing bonus structure is tied to the parameters of the salary cap for the most part so, unless the cap rules change, the signing bonus giveaways probably won't either.

6. Collapse Details

Yes, the cap rules would also have to change if they're revamping the bonus schedules and rules. Something for them to address in the next iteration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

7. Collapse Details

I never understood that whole signing bonus thing. Isnt it part of the salary and therefore figures into the salary cap.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    The signing bonus structure is tied to the parameters of the salary cap for the most part so, unless the cap rules change, the signing bonus giveaways probably won't either.
    Also, "signing bonus" is somewhat of a misnomer where NFL contracts are concerned since in many case it's paid out in installments, not all at one time.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I never understood that whole signing bonus thing. Isnt it part of the salary and therefore figures into the salary cap.
    It's an accounting maneuver for all intents and purposes. As Jazzy mentions the bonus structure has changed over the years but a signing bonus is pro-rated over the full length of the contract to reduce the "cap hit" for any given year but the "cap hit" can remain after a player has been released aka "dead money".

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    You cant go wrong with Cam!
    Cam is going to end up just like Luck. Multiple injuries and surgeries. Too much contact and will probably have a short career.