Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Hybrid View

  1. Collapse Details
    Luck Retires, Fans Boo
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    938
    Football really is brutal. Indy fans jeering Andrew Luck off the field is an appalling example of the state of the sport. Apparently the guy was expected to keep throwing his body into the fray with no regard to his own health and quality of life. Ptooeey..
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,724
    Typically there are enough fans who don't take a "step back and reason things out" angle when at a football game for the reaction to Luck to not be expected.

    The timing of the decision can be questioned I guess.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Luck's announcement reminded me of John Urschel's retirement a year after he suffered a concussion. Like Urschel, who is now at MIT pursuing a Ph.D in math, I suspect Luck has big plans for his post-football career that he doesn't want to jeopardize any more than he already has.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Luck's announcement reminded me of John Urschel's retirement a year after he suffered a concussion. Like Urschel, who is now at MIT pursuing a Ph.D in math, I suspect Luck has big plans for his post-football career that he doesn't want to jeopardize any more than he already has.
    Bought Urschel's book about a month ago and read it - Mind and Matter. Very good read. On the other hand, I'm kinda a math nerd, though not close to his level.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,741
    I have been a huge Luck fan since his first game on the Farm. Drove to Miami to see him in a great win over VT in the 2011 Orange Bowl, and then rooted for him in Indy. He owes us nothing more, and I wish him all the best.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have been a huge Luck fan since his first game on the Farm. Drove to Miami to see him in a great win over VT in the 2011 Orange Bowl, and then rooted for him in Indy. He owes us nothing more, and I wish him all the best.
    I have to say of all the recent mega talented QB first round draft picks in the last 20 years, Id put Andrew Luck at the top of the list. Not sure we will ever see that breadth of talents in one player ever again. Having said that, I cant quite say that the entirety of his under performance with the Colts was due only to a sub par OL. He did not seem as sharp in this throwing decisions in the NFL as I would have projected based on this college career.

    The truth is that making sure you dont get hit is the second most important job every QB in the NFL has to make every play of every game. The team just cant afford to have an injured QB. It is a very tough game but it was Andrew's job on the field to make sure he put his body first. Not really true with the other positions, you can exchange most other players and not cost the team that much, but the QB is different, the entire offense depends on him. Maybe he was just too tough for his own good.
    Last edited by user4; 08-27-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Posts
    11,961
    By waiting to retire two weeks before the season Luck screwed the team, and more importantly his teammates. And, it should be noted, claimed a $12 million roster bonus(Colts have said they won't ask for it back).

    Make no mistake, Luck knew what he was doing with the timing.
    There are no strings on me
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    By waiting to retire two weeks before the season Luck screwed the team, and more importantly his teammates. And, it should be noted, claimed a $12 million roster bonus(Colts have said they won't ask for it back).

    Make no mistake, Luck knew what he was doing with the timing.
    I hardly think that was his rationale. He made ample money in the first 6 years to be set for life. He was hampered by those injuries and kept trying to come back and finally realized he couldn't do it. The Colts current orthopaedist and previous one are both good friends so I have more information, but can't really release that publicly.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Posts
    11,961
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I hardly think that was his rationale. He made ample money in the first 6 years to be set for life.

    Great - then he'll have no problem giving that money back to the Colts, or donating it to charity.
    There are no strings on me
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Great - then he'll have no problem giving that money back to the Colts, or donating it to charity.
    You sound like a bitter Colts fan.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •