Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Zach Bitter 100 miles 11:19:18
    I am aware that ultrarunning isn't really an interest here, so perhaps this should be in Things Not T&F, but as Current Events traffic isn't heavy at the moment and moreover as this event is being contested on a track, here is your ultrarunning news.

Zach Bitter (USA), who has run some other impressive 100 milers, just completed 100 miles in 11:19:18 (~6:47-6:48/mile pace). He did so as part of the still ongoing "6 Days in the Dome" event. His results are under the "24 hr live tracking" section of the results, and in there, the "splits mile" document.

This is I believe the fastest 100 miles ever, although every time I make such an assertion about ultrarunning (or pretty much anything), I soon learn I was mistaken. In any case, that's a lot of 6:48 miles.

https://www.run6days.com
    Last edited by Master Po; 08-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That is amazing....just under 3 hour marathon pace....looking forward to some dude running sub 6 for 100....

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    That is amazing....just under 3 hour marathon pace....looking forward to some dude running sub 6 for 100....
    Yikes! The 50 mile record is sub 6, but back-to-back? That would be something.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...00k-challenge/

4. Collapse Details

Thanks Conor Dary. As soon as I saw the sub-11 hour 20 mark, I thought what it might take to get sub-11 hours for such a distance. I can do the math but I still can't really imagine it, just as I can't imagine running 4 consecutive sub-3 hour marathons, which I hadn't thought about until your post. I noticed in Bitter's stats from the event that he covered a bit more than 100 miles -- it was ~104.something miles and I puzzled about that for a moment, then forgot about it until your post. I think what he did was about equal to 4 marathons (but I haven't gone back to look at the actual distance he covered). So maybe that's why he decided to tack on a few more miles past 100. Because, well, if you've already gone that far at that pace, why not round out the day's work to 4 marathons, just for fun.

5. Collapse Details

His result was 168.7928 km (~12m past 4 marathons) in 11:58:32 for 2:59:38 per.

6. Collapse Details

He actually ran the extra few miles to get another world record, that for 12 hours.

For a few years in the 2000s, I held the 50k M45-49 American record (toot, toot). I ventured to one "real" ultra race, a U.S. 100 mile road championship held on a one mile loop in Toledo.

Dropped out at 50 miles and stayed around to watch the real ultra guys finish up. The effort involved in the last 20 miles of a 100 miler run for time is something I will always appreciate.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    a U.S. 100 mile road championship held on a one mile loop in Toledo.
    100 laps of a 1-mile loop in Toledo??? I hope there were mental health professionals available to the finishers who must have been bored to bejeezus

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    100 laps of a 1-mile loop in Toledo??? I hope there were mental health professionals available to the finishers who must have been bored to bejeezus
    Assuming that comment is not a dig on Toledo, the loop for the run that is the subject of this thread is only 443.45522 meters around the outside of a speed skating rink.

https://www.run6days.com/about

So Bitter's 4-marathon feat was accomplished over 380 laps.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That's no big deal....they did a 6 day race in Boulder on a 220 track. ..I did a marathon on an outdoor track ....lots of ultras have been done on tracks...basically you get in a zone and don't think about it..especially if you don't have to count your laps ..

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Assuming that comment is not a dig on Toledo, the loop for the run that is the subject of this thread is only 443.45522 meters around the outside of a speed skating rink.

https://www.run6days.com/about

So Bitter's 4-marathon feat was accomplished over 380 laps.
    its not a dig on Toledo at all, just a dig on what had to be an unbelievably boring course.