Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Those are finish line timer stands..one on opposite corners of track for wind direction. Timers started watches on smoke from starters gun.. did not have to be near starter.
    It is not apparent to me why two finish lines on same side since any distance could be accommodated by moving starting line.
    We are simply looking up/down track towards the 220 yard extension which could have finished at either finish line.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 08-26-2019 at 04:39 AM.

2. Collapse Details

I agree with dj that those have to be finish lines, and that lines that appear curved may not have been in reality. There is perhaps only one other photo in the university's archives that might shed light on the configuration at Angell, and it is here:
    https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/yd101qp6148

I believe that it is from the 1940s, as Hoover Tower wasn't completed until 1941, and I couldn't spot any 1950s automobile models. One can see 2 start lines, for the 100y and the 120yH races. One can also see the 2 finish lines, and see that the 100y race in progress is going to finish at the finish line more toward the middle of the straightaway. There are no other finish line positions on the home straight.

I'm maintaining for now that the finish line closer to the beginning of Turn 1 was for the 220y straight race only, and that the one closer to the center of the straight was used for all other distances.

3. Collapse Details

Just some more info.

The track was fully refurbished for $25,000 prior to its dedication as Angell Field on March 13, 1935.

I strongly suspect that this photo was taken by the university to document its brand new track in early 1935, given the repair or final track building observable on the facility.

This view is strengthened due to the only three photos digitised including an alternative angle of the shot put circle on the same day
    https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/nm897qz6104

and a photo and text of the reconstruction
    https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/zq099ht9553

Incidentally, the appearance of "L" shaped hurdles also date the photo to 1935 or later.

The track width was designed for "ten sprinters or 6 hurdlers" according to the text attached to the second photo linked.

4. Collapse Details

Charley Shaffer got his post in while I was still typing mine.

Interesting that the track shown on his link doesn't have 10 lanes, as proposed, only 6. It also has bleachers while the original photo has none. The bleachers also cover the shot put facility outside of, and parallel to, the back straight that is visible in the first photo.

The height of the trees on the back straight in the competition photo indicates quite a few years of growth if taken after the first photo.

The above strenghthens my view that the original photo was c.1935 documenting the new track.

Also note that in my post above, the collection of 3 photos, came grouped under "Athletic facilities, Angell Field" and were the ony search results returned. Some alternative, track related search terms might produce more results.