Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    He is still regular news fodder here. His life is under a microscope. Even though his world-perspective is not mine, he has earned my total respect.
    I don't have anything against him and I like him as a college football commentator, I just don't take his or anyone else's piety at face value.

2. Collapse Details

Remember prep sprint sensation Anthony Schwartz? Yeah, he's still got it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1175496788238843904

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I just don't take his or anyone else's piety at face value.
    There's a fine line between healthy skepticism and just plain old cynicism. I know MANY pious people who are the real deal. There are others who are just obvious hypocrites. There's nothing wrong with well-placed piety ['the quality of being religious or reverent'], though I am from it, for the very reasons you espouse.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    There's a fine line between healthy skepticism and just plain old cynicism. I know MANY pious people who are the real deal. There are others who are just obvious hypocrites. There's nothing wrong with well-placed piety ['the quality of being religious or reverent'], though I am from it, for the very reasons you espouse.
    Id go further, and say that we should have grave skepticism in those instances where the pious person is seeking something from us. So examples would be televangelists or charity organizations seeking to pull on your purse. That is where your cognitive instinct to questions motives should spring to action. Where there is no material pressure on us, it seems a little like wasted energy and wasted mental strength to hurl the hypocrite label around. What good does it do me to accuse Tim Tebow of being a hypocrite, I not only have no evidence of his hypocricy, I have nothing to gain by slandering him. Dont waste your precious life in unrooted bitterness.

Jim and Tammy Baker or Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin, (I forget his name, oh yeah Jimmy Swaggert) or the other guy out of Tulsa, I saw them as always pleading for money knowing that their audience was more than 1/2 fixed income elderly people. Save your hypocricy hurling powder in a dry place and use it where it is needed, otherwise it is like crying wolf in a field of daisies. Of course the vast majority of pious people are good and decent and they act to make all of us better, the hypocrite that we should be wary of is indeed a rarity.
    Last edited by user4; 09-22-2019 at 10:07 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I see no reason to questions Tebow's sincerity. His public display of piety may make some people uncomfortable but as user 4 says, he has nothing to gain and knowingly invites cynicism. I am not aware of any negative allegations as to his personal behavior.

6. Collapse Details

I understand the cringe. Sadly Christians have earned it, but I do appreciate those who are clearly pious and live it. Tebow is one. Drew Brees comes to mind.

As a fallen person (sinner) who follows Christ I get a little annoyed with the "hypocrite" label, as not being a hypocrite would require 100% compliance; something none of us are capable of. With that in mind, although I do understand/recognize the difference between an earnest striver and a charlatan, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Automatically taking a dim view of people who are openly religious is acting in bad faith, in my opinion. This has bled over into politics where BOTH sides do the same thing; make huge assumptions about people they know NOTHING ELSE ABOUT simply by which party they vote for.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

7. Collapse Details

I think a lot of Tebow backlash, which has long dissipated in my view, came not as a reaction directly to him but from the fact that he seemed to have a
    "following". Another part of it once he got to the pros was that he received attention disproportionate to his ability as a pro which was a backup QB or situational player. It probably led to him not having a job in the NFL much sooner than would be expected considering some of the backups still in the league.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I think a lot of Tebow backlash, which has long dissipated in my view, came not as a reaction directly to him but from the fact that he seemed to have a
    "following". Another part of it once he got to the pros was that he received attention disproportionate to his ability as a pro which was a backup QB or situational player. It probably led to him not having a job in the NFL much sooner than would be expected considering some of the backups still in the league.
    He was a first round draft choice! That will raise expectations....

Many thought it was idiotic....and was quickly proved so....unfortunately for Denver he got this cult following that didn't care he wasn't any good...which was a dilemma for Elway...fortunately Peyton Manning was available and an excuse to dump Tebow....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-22-2019 at 10:16 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    no more religion posts, please.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    unfortunately for Denver he got this cult following that didn't care he wasn't any good
    Had he been drafted by his hometown team, the Jaguars, and used as a fullback or tight-end (mostly for blocking, but he can also catch the ball), maybe just a half-dozen plays a game, his huge legions of local fans would have sold out the stadium every week, and they wouldn't have lost any games for it.