Facts, Not Fiction

Page 52 of 107 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I feel the same way about LSU, and I hope the Tigers get a wake-up call after the latest news.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...4ba955daa.html

2. Collapse Details

Jazzy if it comes to it this Buckeye is still smarting from 2007 so we might have to make an arrangement...if it comes to it...
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

3. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I feel the same way about LSU, and I hope the Tigers get a wake-up call after the latest news.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...4ba955daa.html

LSU's defense is what it is. Worst case scenario for them would be facing the prospect of having to go through both Clemson's and Ohio State's offenses
    There are no strings on me

4. Collapse Details

One of our local talking heads pointed out that up until Saturday, Ohio State was on track to join the pantheon of the most dominant teams of all times, alongside such teams as the 1995 Cornhuskers, but the Penn State game ended those sort of discussions. However, they did loosen LSU's grip on the #1 spot according to the Coaches Poll and they have a good shot at leapfrogging LSU, depending on how they play the next two weeks.
    Yes, but why should an 11 pt. win over the 8th ranked team in the country lessen one's opinion of them?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    LSU's defense is what it is. Worst case scenario for them would be facing the prospect of having to go through both Clemson's and Ohio State's offenses
    The defense is below par by LSU standards but often times the offense does it no favors, either incapable or unwilling to eat up clock even when the situation calls for it.

With five minutes to go in the Ole Miss game and leading by 14 points, LSU's defense stopped Ole Miss on 4th down at the end of a 13-play drive. At this point, the logical thing to do would have been to keep the ball on the ground and eat up the clock until it's time for the victory formation by running down the play clock 1 or 2 seconds on every snap. However, LSU went right back to the fast-break offense, taking only 23 seconds to score in three plays, thus putting a tired defense right back out on the field at which point Ole Miss marched right down the field once again making it a 14-point game.

Why do this to a defense that's so thin due to injuries and suspensions that it was forced to play most of its starters for 60 minutes in blowout against Arkansas? Were they trying to pad Burrow's stats for Heisman? The play caller has done this sort of crap all season long and it's inexplicable IMO.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-27-2019 at 01:30 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Yes, but why should an 11 pt. win over the 8th ranked team in the country lessen one's opinion of them?
    Because they were being compared to teams in the pantheon of college football, not just the teams this season. Many folks, including me, expected them to easily cover the point spread of 19. Wikipedia on the 1995 Cornhuskers:

Due to their performance against Florida, victories over four teams that finished in the top 10 (by an average score of 49–18), consistent dominance (smallest margin of victory was 14 points, trailed only once all season, rushed for 51 touchdowns and 400 yards per game while allowing only 6 rushing touchdowns all season and 78 rushing yards per game), their record-setting offensive performance, and their statistically impressive defense throughout the season, the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers are widely regarded as the greatest team in college football history. The team set Division 1-A records by averaging 7.0 yards per rushing attempt, allowing zero quarterback sacks, and allowing five punt returns (for 12 yards) over the entire season. The Cornhuskers average margin of victory was over 38 points, the largest of any Division 1-A team since World War II, despite regularly resting starters after halftime.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-27-2019 at 01:42 AM.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The silliness of college football.. when you don't win by enough ..

8. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Jazz delivers.

9. Collapse Details

More Buckeye cynicism:

I've never recovered from the 4 times in a 6 year stretch in the mid-to-late 90's when an undefeated OSU team was handed its first loss of the year (sometimes only) from a team from Michigan.

So I can never totally relax until the confetti is falling.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

10. Collapse Details

Because they were being compared to teams in the pantheon of college football, not just the teams this season. Many folks, including me, expected them to easily cover the point spread of 19. Wikipedia on the 1995 Cornhuskers:
    Also on the wiki page about the 1995 NCAA season, the answers to a couple of trivia questions:

"The first ever Division I-A overtime game was played during the 1995 bowl season, the Las Vegas Bowl between Toledo and Nevada. Overtime would be adopted permanently for all games in 1996. Due to the adoption of overtime, the season-ending 3-3 game between Wisconsin and Illinois on November 25 is the last tied game in Division 1-A."