Facts, Not Fiction

Page 64 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I dare you to love football after twice having to go out to parents and talk to them about why their son now will live with only 1 leg for the rest of his life.
    I understand how traumatic personal experiences such as yours can have a profound impact on one's perspective but not all people internalize these experiences the same way you might expect them to. Derek Stingley, one of the most coveted recruits in the country in 2018, is a freshman cornerback at LSU whose father also played big-time college foitball. Can you guess who his grandfather is?

2. Collapse Details

Yeah, but bambam and I still don't understand it. If I was Derek's father, I'd likely forbid him to play football. But then, I climbed (rock, ice, mountains) for a dozen or so years and stuck my neck out farther than I'd ever want my son to, and, now he is getting into climbing.
    Last edited by DrJay; 12-06-2019 at 08:50 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Forget Derek, what's even more amazing is that his grandmother allowed his father to play.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Indeed....

Anyways as far as risks go I'm amazed at the lunatic behavior of students on 18th near the University...on scooters, looking at their phones, barely paying attention on a busy road...

5. Collapse Details

Football was not as pervasive when I was a kid in the 1930s-40s but I don't remember any expressed concern about danger of concussions or broken bones... of course, you can get hurt climbing on bulls and unbroken horses and we did not worry about that either...
    Last edited by lonewolf; 12-06-2019 at 09:18 PM.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Indeed....

Anyways as far as risks go I'm amazed at the lunatic behavior of students on 18th near the University...on scooters, looking at their phones, barely paying attention on a busy road...
    Here is one example....

7. Collapse Details

Yeah, I'm getting more and more conflicted.
    I'm eating less meat the more I think of the barbarism involved, and I've given up on the NFL.
    I'm a huge hypocrite on both (dead serious), as I still like steaks and college FB.

8. Collapse Details

Trampolines also. In my residency took care of 3 quadriplegics from trampoline accidents. Many orthopaedists / neurosurgeons think they should be banned.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I understand how traumatic personal experiences such as yours can have a profound impact on one's perspective but not all people internalize these experiences the same way you might expect them to. Derek Stingley, one of the most coveted recruits in the country in 2018, is a freshman cornerback at LSU whose father also played big-time college foitball. Can you guess who his grandfather is?
    I hardly think that anecdotal event legitimizes football as a sport.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Trampolines also. In my residency took care of 3 quadriplegics from trampoline accidents. Many orthopaedists / neurosurgeons think they should be banned.
    Also took care of that NC State runner who jumped over the bridge after running off the track of the NC2As - she was "only" a paraplegic but I can't remember her name. Not suggesting we should ban track meets in the vicinity of bridges.