Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 705
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,822
    I second Jazz motion: Basketball 68 to 16 teams. T&F 96 to 48 individuals
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I second Jazz motion: Basketball 68 to 16 teams. T&F 96 to 48 individuals
    Zero chance the first will happen. That is the NCAA's one and ONLY cash cow.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Most of the critics of the FBS is that it's too elitist - too many one-loss and two-loss teams, as well as untested Group of 5 teams don't get a shot. They would like it to be more like college basketball where a team that's looked mediocre for most of the season can get on a roll at the end have a Cinderella story. For me elitism is the appeal. If I were the king of the world I would cut the basketball tournament down from 68 to 16 teams and make it double-elimination to prevent Villanova-Georgetown from ever happening again and the NCAA T&F Regionals down from 96 total athletes per event to 48. I wasn't a fan of Cinderella as a kid anyway.
    Why bother with a over long regular season....Have the top 16 play a round robin....top 8 move on to the playoffs in best of 7 game series.....then and only then will we have a true Champion ...
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Why bother with a over long regular season....Have the top 16 play a round robin....top 8 move on to the playoffs in best of 7 game series.....then and only then will we have a true Champion ...
    Huh? With just 12 games college football has the shortest regular season in all of sports and you think it's too long? Come on man, you can do better than that. I oppose a 16-team playoff because I'm a college football elitist who loves the fact that it has the most meaningful regular season in all of sports. Tomorrow's 2 big games featuring undefeated teams would be meaningless if there were a 16-team playoff. Tuesday's basketball games featuring 4 of the sport's blue bloods were meaningless which is why I only watch college basketball in March.

    I will concede that the BCS was too elitist since really good undefeated teams were sometimes excluded such in 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2010. However, MLB was every bit as elitist as the BCS for the first 100 years of its existence before it instituted a playoff in 1969, and no one is questions the legitimacy of the World Series titles that came before that.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-08-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    However, MLB was every bit as elitist as the BCS for the first 100 years of its existence before it instituted a playoff in 1969, and no one is questions the legitimacy of the World Series titles that came before that.
    I disagree that baseball was elitist. The champions of the two leagues played each other - that's what its all about.

    Many people will not remember that the NFL used to have a runner-up bowl each year, until the Super Bowl came along. Vince Lombardi once said of it, "Its a game for losers, played by losers."
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I disagree that baseball was elitist. The champions of the two leagues played each other - that's what its all about.
    I guess elitist is a subjective term, but any sport that doesn't have a playoff and in which only the two best teams have a chance to compete for a championship, is by definition elitist in the context I'm using it, and in this context it's not meant as a pejorative.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    7,026
    I liked the college football when I was a kid.

    There were bowl games and that was it. It was college for heaven sake, let the records and schedule speak for themselves.

    Having a championship playoff proves nothing and effectively forces the players to give far more than the scholarship is worth.
    Last edited by user4; 11-08-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Huh? With just 12 games college football has the shortest regular season in all of sports and you think it's too long? Come on man, you can do better than that. I oppose a 16-team playoff because I'm a college football elitist who loves the fact that it has the most meaningful regular season in all of sports. Tomorrow's 2 big games featuring undefeated teams would be meaningless if there were a 16-team playoff. Tuesday's basketball games featuring 4 of the sport's blue bloods were meaningless which is why I only watch college basketball in March.

    I will concede that the BCS was too elitist since really good undefeated teams were sometimes excluded such in 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2010. However, MLB was every bit as elitist as the BCS for the first 100 years of its existence before it instituted a playoff in 1969, and no one is questions the legitimacy of the World Series titles that came before that.
    Jazz...I was joking....

    I agree a 16 team playoff is way too big...And would kill the regular season....

    I think 8 is right...

    This talk of elitism is getting out of hand....it is only a sport and entertainment....baseball had pennant races that were exciting for the whole summer before the silly playoffs expanded and destroyed the best part of baseball...the World Series were almost anticlimactic in comparison....look at 1951 "The Giants Win the Pennant!" for the best example...does anyone remember, or care, the Yankees won the World Series that year....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs&app=desktop
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-08-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Uh oh! There's bad news coming out of Columbus. It looks like Chase Young got caught with his hand the cookie jar.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ial-ncaa-issue
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Can someone please explain why borrowing money from a family friend violates NCAA rules?
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •