Facts, Not Fiction

Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    If the football playoffs expanded to 68 like in basketball or 31 in cross country...that might be true...but since it doesn't there has to be some winnowing down....
    But giving automatic bids to conference champions would make it less exclusive not more exclusive, and the NCAA basketball tournament wasn't limited to conference champions even when it only had 16 teams, which is the equivalent of 4 teams in football when you consider the total number of teams involved in the respective sports.

2. Collapse Details

FYI, this year's committee is made up of 6 athletic directors, 3 coaches, a player, a president, a professor and an army general.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/s...committee.aspx

3. Collapse Details

Executive Director of the CFP is a guy named Bill Hancock - https://collegefootballplayoff.com/staff.aspx?staff=11

Bill was an SID at Oklahoma State and then was media director of the Final Four in basketball for many years. He always works for the USOC at the Olympics and Winter Olympics as a volunteer in the USOC Room at the Main Press Centre, usually in charge of ticket distribution to the US media.

Bill and I have become good friends at the Olympics. He has been known for always taking 1 day in the middle of the games and walking from his hotel to the MPC, which varies in length of course. In Rio, he and I did it together, walking from our hotel at Barra de Tijuca, which was about 9 miles on the route we chose. A fun time.

4. Collapse Details

What is the MPC?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What is the MPC?
    Media Press Center (I presume).

6. Collapse Details

Main Press Center

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What is the MPC?
    Main Press Centre - I mentioned it earlier in the post, sometimes also called the MMC = Main Media Centre, although there is also always a separate IBC = International Broadcast Centre at the Olympics

8. Collapse Details

Bill Hancock is from Hobart, OK, county seat of Kiowa County and 10 miles east of Lone Wolf OK.

9. Collapse Details

Whatever you may feel about the CFP system, I can assure you they don't come any better people than Bill Hancock

10. Collapse Details

Most of the criticism of the FBS is that it's too elitist - too many one-loss and two-loss teams, as well as untested Group of 5 teams don't get a shot. They would like it to be more like college basketball where a team that's looked mediocre for most of the season can get on a roll at the end have a Cinderella story. For me elitism is the appeal. If I were the king of the world I would cut the basketball tournament down from 68 to 16 teams and make it double-elimination to prevent Villanova-Georgetown from ever happening again and the NCAA T&F Regionals down from 96 total athletes per event to 48. I wasn't a fan of Cinderella as a kid anyway.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-09-2019 at 12:33 PM.