Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 644
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Dude, your reading comprehension needs work. I said Burrow would have been #3 LAST year. This year, yes, I believe he would be #2(behind Fields), even if Martell were still around, because of Day(and his system) being in charge.
    My reading comprehension is fine because I was talking about last year. I thought that perhaps I misunderstood you because I couldn't believe that any thinking person could still believe that Martell was better than Burrow with the benefit of hindsight, but apparently you still believe this nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by guru
    I'm quite sure he would have, because if Burrow had stayed he would have been coming in this year as a backup, not with his 2018 LSU profile. No reason Fields would have feared him any more than he did Martell.
    It would have been interesting to see whether a guy who couldn't beat out Jake Fromm could have beaten out Burrow. My main point of this whole discussion is to refute your belief that being a bench warmer at quarterback, the one position in football where only one guy get to play at a time, means that you're a crappy quarterback. Not only do good quarterbacks often find themselves on the bench waiting their turn (eg. JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Tua, Burrow, Fields, etc.), but Hall of Fame quarterbacks do as well ( eg. Roger Staubach, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc.)
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    7,022
    So happy for LSU!!.. I knew their QB was for real when they went to Austin and humiliated UT. LSU has beaten a number of top ranked teams on their opponents home turf, this team is headed for greatness.

    Great teams pour out their heart and soul on every down in the toughest situations. LSU goes to Tuscaloosa and never stops, not for a minute. Every down they deliver. This is a team for the ages !

    It would not surprise me to see LSU steam roll to a National Championship !!!

    Dont fight it !
    Last edited by user4; 11-10-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Update on the NY Times coverage of college football. Last Sunday (November 3), the print edition of the NYT had not a word about college football. And again on Monday, no scores or wrap-up--just the latest AP rankings. Today (November 10), two full pages of college football, including a full page on the LSU-'Bama game with a by-lined story.

    Go figure.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,621
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    They were ranked #7 this week and they were idle. Who else do you think deserves to jump them besides Minnesota?
    Jazz you talk like this is some science experiment like measuring the temperature...who knows what comes up ....it's almost random sometimes...
    Anyways I see Minnesota as 10 or so...Oregon 6...
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,621
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Update on the NY Times coverage of college football. Last Sunday (November 3), the print edition of the NYT had not a word about college football. And again on Monday, no scores or wrap-up--just the latest AP rankings. Today (November 10), two full pages of college football, including a full page on the LSU-'Bama game with a by-lined story.

    Go figure.
    Probably because Trump was there....
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Jazz you talk like this is some science experiment like measuring the temperature...who knows what comes up ....it's almost random sometimes...
    Anyways I see Minnesota as 10 or so...Oregon 6...
    Well, you have to admit this is different than just about any other sport. It’s pretty well defined who makes the playoffs in college basketball, major-league baseball, NFL, NHL. (Sure, college basketball has a committee but as far as who gets into March Madness that really only affects the bottom 10 teams or so, plus the seeding). So with college football there’s a lot more room for debate and speculation. Which is what we’re doing here.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,621
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Well, you have to admit this is different than just about any other sport. It’s pretty well defined who makes the playoffs in college basketball, major-league baseball, NFL, NHL. (Sure, college basketball has a committee but as far as who gets into March Madness that really only affects the bottom 10 teams or so, plus the seeding). So with college football there’s a lot more room for debate and speculation. Which is what we’re doing here.
    I get that of course....frankly I sometimes miss the old days when the playoffs didn't exist and the regular Bowls were just that.... in the end it still comes down to some objective choice....

    It's all rather silly in a way.... if you wanted to do it like the pros take the conference champions and 3 wild cards....then there is a definitive path....
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Jazz you talk like this is some science experiment like measuring the temperature...who knows what comes up ....it's almost random sometimes...
    Anyways I see Minnesota as 10 or so...Oregon 6...
    Well, you asked for my best guess as to what the Committee is thinking and I gave you my best guess. I never claimed it was an exact science. In the final poll of 2014, the Committee dropped TCU from 3 to 6 despite the fact that the Hornfrogs beat their opponent 55-3 and covered the point spread, so who knows what they will do. But I do contend that because of the makeup of the Committee, the Coaches Poll is more reflective of its thinking than the AP Poll.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Well, you have to admit this is different than just about any other sport. It’s pretty well defined who makes the playoffs in college basketball, major-league baseball, NFL, NHL. (Sure, college basketball has a committee but as far as who gets into March Madness that really only affects the bottom 10 teams or so, plus the seeding). So with college football there’s a lot more room for debate and speculation. Which is what we’re doing here.
    I disagree. The automatic bids in the NCAA basketball tournament are clearly defined but IMO the process for choosing its at-large bids is a lot more opaque than the CFP Committee's process. For the record, I've believe that the last iteration of the BCS's ranking system used in 2013 was the best one but a two-team format was too exclusive. I wish CFP replaced the Committee with that ranking system which was the most transparent in all of college sports.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-10-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,654
    But at least with NCAA basketball we know the 20 or 30 best teams are going to get in. With college football, as we are seeing, there might be six or seven teams that could argue that they deserve to be in the playoffs. How they are selected, football versus basketball, might be more well clarified with football.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •