Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    he told a kid to slide…
    Administrator

2. Collapse Details

Incredible piece! I note that the writer "was recently named the top columnist in the nation by the Associated Press Sports Editors for 2019". I can see why.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Incredible piece! I note that the writer "was recently named the top columnist in the nation by the Associated Press Sports Editors for 2019". I can see why.
    And that's nothing compared to the injuries sustained in football!

Coach: I told my running back to run over that linebacker (6'4/240lb).
    Other coach: And I told my linebacker to hit the runner as hard as he could, running full speed at him.

Prosecution: And how did you expect that to end up?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I saw this last week and then re-tweeted under the caption "This week's sign that the apocalypse is upon us"

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Oh dear...what a story..

6. Collapse Details

I haven't read enough about this particular case to comment on the merits of it, but I don't think it's universally frivolous for a coach to be sued for something they instructed a kid to do which resulted in serious injury. In particular, I'm referring to situations where the kid was grossly under-prepared or completely untrained for the risky thing they were told to do.

For example, in track & field there are videos of kids in hurdles races crashing all over the place and causing mayhem, looking like they've never been taught how to hurdle. Or a thrower showing a complete lack of technique and almost hitting themselves or somebody else with the implement. If somebody got seriously injured as a result, I'd support suing the coach if the facts show that they knew or should have known not to put the athlete (or rather, unprepared participant) in that position in a competition.

If I were sitting on the jury in that baseball sliding case, I'd want to know the extent to which the coach trained the kid to slide, or evaluated his ability to do so. This was a freshman playing junior varsity, in apparently his first season ever of organized baseball.

7. Collapse Details

Back in the old days we played baseball often on our own...and no one taught us to slide...you just did it...

Kid sports are very weird these days...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Back in the old days we played baseball often on our own...and no one taught us to slide...you just did it...
    As long as you weren't trying to emulate Ty Cobb or Pete Rose . . .

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    When you slide, dive, or roll in a game pursuant to your own spontaneous decision, you've already done a subconscious calculation of whether it's reasonably safe to do it, and you'll automatically coordinate your movements to survive the impact with as little injury as possible. And it's obviously absurd to blame the coach for your own spontaneous decision. But when you're ordered to do it, it's a very different thing.

10. Collapse Details

That's a good point....get rid of base coaches....let the kids make their own decisions...