Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 474
  1. Collapse Details
    2019 College Football
    #1
    The season starts today with a Miami-Florida showdown in Orlando and Arizona traveling to Honolulu to play Hawaii. To quote Yogi Berra, the top of the preseason poll gives us deja vu all over again. Get your predictions and observations in now before next weekend's full slate of games. In the meantime Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah

    • 1 Clemson(59)
      2 Alabama(6)
      3 Georgia
      4 Oklahoma
      5 Ohio State
      6 LSU
      7 Michigan
      8 Florida
      9 Notre Dame
      10 Texas
      11 Texas A&M
      12 Washington
      13 Oregon
      14 Penn State
      15 Utah
      16 Auburn
      17 UCF
      17 Wisconsin
      19 Iowa
      20 Michigan State
      21 Washington State
      22 Syracuse
      23 Stanford
      24 Iowa State
      25 Northwestern
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,945
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    1 Clemson
    2 Alabama
    It'll take a MAJOR upset to get rid of either of those two from being in the NC Game.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,985
    I'm making a bold prediction, neither Clemson nor Alabama will be in the championship game.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    I would highly recommend watching a replay of ESPN's College Football 150 documentary which aired immediately following the Miami-Florida game which covered the history of college football. Being a college football fan, I was already familiar with most of the material covered from history books, but much of the video footage, especially the footage from the early part of the 20th century, was new to me.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I would highly recommend watching a replay of ESPN's College Football 150 documentary which aired immediately following the Miami-Florida game which covered the history of college football. Being a college football fan, I was already familiar with most of the material covered from history books, but much of the video footage, especially the footage from the early part of the 20th century, was new to me.
    That documentary was more or less the opening salvo from a series of documentaries on the history of college football from multiple angles. Much of the material presented in Jonathan Hock's documentary will be explored much more in depth from now until January. I think the individual shows will be aired, two at a time, on Tuesdays weekly. For all the criticism ESPN receives at times, their documentary series tend to be top notch.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,945
    More on the Fla-Mia opener last night:
    Neither team covered themselves in glory.
    Miami had over a dozen stupid penalties (false starts, illegal substitution, delay of game), couldn't keep their QB's butt off the ground and fumbled in spectacularly egregious ways.
    Florida made it interesting in the end when they could have easily stopped Miami, but decided to commit pass interference of every key play.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    For all the criticism ESPN receives at times, their documentary series tend to be top notch.
    Yep. From what I've read there are supposed to be a total of 11 episodes. Watching that old footage reminded me of Roger Staubach bemoaning the wussy game that modern football become after watching Peyton Manning engineer a game winning drive with the aid of two roughing-the-passer penalties. I can imagine an old-timer who played a hundred years ago bemoaning the wussy game being played in the eras of Night Train Lane, Dick Butkus and Ronnie Lott.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    More on the Fla-Mia opener last night:
    Neither team covered themselves in glory.
    Miami had over a dozen stupid penalties (false starts, illegal substitution, delay of game), couldn't keep their QB's butt off the ground and fumbled in spectacularly egregious ways.
    Florida made it interesting in the end when they could have easily stopped Miami, but decided to commit pass interference of every key play.
    Yeah, that was a game that neither team deserved to win. I remember LSU beating Tennessee in an similarly ugly fashion when Les Miles coaching and afterwards it felt like they had lost. It really was a demoralizing victory.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Yep. From what I've read there are supposed to be a total of 11 episodes. Watching that old footage reminded me of Roger Staubach bemoaning the wussy game that modern football become after watching Peyton Manning engineer a game winning drive with the aid of two roughing-the-passer penalties. I can imagine an old-timer who played a hundred years ago bemoaning the wussy game being played in the eras of Night Train Lane, Dick Butkus and Ronnie Lott.
    There's apparently a lot of other "stuff" as well. Listed here:


    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-espn-schedule
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Yeah, that was a game that neither team deserved to win. I remember LSU beating Tennessee in an similarly ugly fashion when Les Miles coaching and afterwards it felt like they had lost. It really was a demoralizing victory.
    This was a game I couldn't decide which I'd prefer to lose more but I did text my Gator homer friend to mention that maybe contacting Pop Warner for some tips as to how to play the game might be in order. It was awful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •