Facts, Not Fiction

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Seems as if this is to save a year and transfer...at least for King. Hurts is done after this season. That may be a landing place.
    Local wags say King wants to use his final year with a better supporting cast at UH, not as a transfer.

We'll see.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    If that's his intention, why doesn't Holgorsen release him now if he doesn't want to play?
    College free agency at its best.

3. Collapse Details

Players are abandoning a sinking ship in Knoxville.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ling-tennessee

4. Collapse Details

Spending Fall Saturdays on Baton Rouge college campuses on game day has always been one of favorite things to do, both at Southern and LSU, but whenever I watch games, I've always been intrigued by what the experience would be like in other college towns on game day. Before the Orange Bowl was demolished, I got a chance to watch Miami and Florida State play there in the "Wide Right III" game. A few years ago I traveled to South Bend to soak up the game day experience at Notre Dame. There are a dozen or so more college campuses and games left on my bucket list, and last weekend I checked one more off when I traveled to Columbus, Ohio for the Buckeyes homecoming versus Michigan State.

The weather was perfect, the fans were enthusiastic, the band more than lived up to its reputation and the overall experience met expectations. However, one thing that surprised me is the tailgating, or lack there of. I toured the campus 5-6 hours before game time, and I was surprised at how desolate the place looked. Aside from all the game day support personnel who were as busy as beavers (eg. media, concessions, caterers, etc.) there was no evidence that something big was about to happen. The parking lots and all the space around the stadium were empty, so finally I approached a security guard to see what was going on.

Me: Where is everybody?
    Security Guard: Where y'all from?
    Me: Baton Rouge
    Security Guard: This isn't Baton Rouge. You're not in the South. Folks up here don't come out this early. Come back in about 3 hours.
    Of course when I returned to campus 2 hours before kickoff, the place was packed, and aside from the colors (red and black vs purple and gold), it was similar to the LSU experience. However, in Baton Rouge it's an all-day affair on game day. I usually tailgate once a year, and on those occasions, I'm already set up and cooking jambalaya by 11 AM for a 6 PM kickoff. I would be curious to know how what the tailgating is like on some of the other campuses around the country at places like Wisconsin, Oregon, Stanford, etc.

By the way, no one left their seats during the halftime show. Check out this video and you'll understand why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8EdnYQpego

5. Collapse Details

Well, one difference is that since half of the games are cold, if you arrive before 11, leave about 10, you will have 11 hours in cool to cold weather. Here it is all the way up to 44 with a wind chill of 37 - it is the first half October less than half way in to the season. Traditions do lead to starting that early.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I've never done it but tailgating is a big deal at Autzen ...starts 6 hours before game time ..

https://kval.com/news/local/eugene-m...dium-permanent

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Well, one difference is that since half of the games are cold, if you arrive before 11, leave about 10, you will have 11 hours in cool to cold weather. Here it is all the way up to 44 with a wind chill of 37 - it is the first half October less than half way in to the season. Traditions do lead to starting that early.
    I guess that makes sense. The weather in Columbus was perfect last Saturday (low 70's at noon, low 60's at 10 PM), but I guess it was milder than what folks up there are accustomed to. Also, the bars and restaurant right off campus were packed all day long.

8. Collapse Details

Tailgated once during my sonís freshman year, or year ago. Things started up perhaps three hours before gametime, it was pretty minor league tailgating. But then, itís Colorado where everybody would rather be hiking or skiing.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Tailgated once during my sonís freshman year, or year ago. Things started up perhaps three hours before gametime, it was pretty minor league tailgating. But then, itís Colorado where everybody would rather be hiking or skiing.
    Game-days at my boarding prep-school was an all-day celebration, win or lose. At Stanford the only football memory I have is the (Huge!) Bonfire pep rally the night before the Big Game. Other than that, it was just something we went to do on a Saturday afternoon in Palo Alto. And that includes the Jim Plunkett years (with a Rose Bowl win over Ohio St). I guess everyone was focused on becoming the first Google!

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Folsom is a lousy place for tailgating ..