Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Michigan is the only FBS team in the nation without a win as an underdog in the last 5 years.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Certainly quite disappointing for some of us.
    I'll bet....

3. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I believe Stanford's 2007 win over USC is the biggest upset.

Worth noting the 2007 Michigan/Appalachian State game was considered such a mismatch that Vegas books refused to set a line
    There are no strings on me

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Worth noting the 2007 Michigan/Appalachian State game was considered such a mismatch that Vegas books refused to set a line
    Back in the 70s when Oklahoma had those powerhouses, I think they were a 60-point favorite over Wake Forest. I bet one of the Wake Forest golfers on tour that Oklahoma would cover, and won the bet. I think they won by 63 points.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    In retrospect, it wasn't that big a mismatch when you consider the fact than Appalachian State was the eventual FCS national champion, and in the final Sagarin rankings which combined all 243 FBS and FCS teams, they ranked #44 ahead of 2/3rds of the FBS teams.

6. Collapse Details

In 1947, nationally-ranked Army had a 32-game winning streak going into their game with a mediocre Columbia team. You know what happened. Great game, and below, a great story:

https://www.si.com/vault/1997/12/15/...t-met-columbia

7. Collapse Details

This probably says more about the state of newspapers today in general, and the NY Times in particular, than it does about college football, but it should be noted that the print edition of Sunday's NY Times did not have a single score of any of Saturday's college football games. It thought that because of print deadlines, they might instead do some kind of wrap-up on Monday. Nope. Again, not a single mention of any game. They did have the AP top 25 rankings buried in a full page of agate, but you really had to look for it to find it.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    This probably says more about the state of newspapers today in general, and the NY Times in particular, than it does about college football, but it should be noted that the print edition of Sunday's NY Times did not have a single score of any of Saturday's college football games.
    The reality is that anyone who wanted to know a score had already looked it up on-line. The agate section is obsolete. Previews, opinion columns and profiles of teams/stars are now the domain of print media, which, one would have to assume, will disappear with the baby boomers.
    My question has always been, when content gets replaced on-line, will you ever be able to see it again? There aren't enough servers on the planet to store every 1 and 0 ever cyber-written.
    I have tried to find stuff on-line that I had seen before, only to find it gone. My books and periodicals still sit on my bookshelves, patiently awaiting their reperusal.

9. Collapse Details

This probably says more about the state of newspapers today in general, and the NY Times in particular, than it does about college football, but it should be noted that the print edition of Sunday's NY Times did not have a single score of any of Saturday's college football games. It thought that because of print deadlines, they might instead do some kind of wrap-up on Monday. Nope. Again, not a single mention of any game. They did have the AP top 25 rankings buried in a full page of agate, but you really had to look for it to find it.
    I hate this so much. Such a huge part of my life is/was (mostly was, I guess) eagerly awaiting the paper Sat/Sun/Mon so I could pore over the write-ups and stats. I really feel a part of me is dying with the dying of the newspaper. I don't get remotely the same satisfaction reading about the results on the computer.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The Times is getting away from sports more and more....