Facts, Not Fiction

Page 57 of 107 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Barring an upset, LSU, OSU and Clemson plus either Utah or Oklahoma. If both lose then Baylor.
    Yeah. LSU and Ohio St seemed destined to meet for the title, which is exactly what Sabo wants. Clemson for the double-upset!!

2. Collapse Details

Alabama did get hosed at the end of the first half. Auburn had no timeouts left so there should have been a 10-second runoff. The purpose of the 10-second runoff is prevent the referees from giving teams a de facto timeout every time they call for a replay review. Had the referees started the clock as soon as the first down chains were moved as they normally do, there's no way Auburn could have gotten its field goal team on the field and set up before the clock ran out.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 12-01-2019 at 05:53 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Alabama did get hosed at the end of the first half.
    Aw, what a shame.
    Saban's multiple melt-downs made the game for me.

edit - I'm not super-proud of my schadenfreude, but some people just need a comeuppance every so often.

edit2 - To be fair to him, his post-game interview was classy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK0kvmsswfE
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-01-2019 at 04:52 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Alabama did get hosed at the end of the first half. Auburn had no timeouts left so there should have been a 1-second runoff. The purpose of the 10-second runoff is prevent the referees from giving teams a de facto timeout every time they call for a replay review. Had the referees started the clock as soon as the first down chains were moved as they normally do, there's no way Auburn could have gotten its field goal team on the field and set up before the clock ran out.
    I think the problem was the play also involved Auburn attaining a first down during the play which stops the clock. You're correct in that a 10 secs subtraction from the game clock would result if the clock would normally continue to run. However, since the clock would have stopped for the first down, it requires the referee to signal the ball in play.

Whether they got it all right I'm not sure and I'm sure will be debated for eons.

Article 2e

e. Starts on the Referee’s Signal. For each of the following reasons, the game clock is stopped on an official’s signal. If the next play begins with a snap, the game clock will start on the referee’s signal:

1. Team A is awarded a first down, either through play or by penalty.
    To answer an earlier question, I like Nick Saban or...rather...I see no reason to not like Nick Saban any more than most other college football coaches.
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 12-01-2019 at 05:49 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I think the problem was the play also involved Auburn attaining a first down during the play which stops the clock. You're correct in that a 10 secs subtraction from the game clock would result if the clock would normally continue to run. However, since the clock would have stopped for the first down, it requires the referee to signal the ball in play.
    I realize that the play resulted in a first down, but normally the referees restart the clock as soon as the chain crew is set, regardless of whether or not the offense is ready to go, which means that typically the clock only stops for 4 to 6 seconds depending on how long the play was and how far the chains have to be moved. There's no way you can get your field goal team set in that time.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 12-01-2019 at 09:05 PM.

6. Collapse Details

I realize that the play resulted in a first down, but normally the referees restart the clock as soon as the chain crew is set, regardless of whether or not the offense is ready to go, which means that typically the clock only stops for 4 to 6 second depending on how long the play was and how far the chains have to be moved. There's no way you can get your field goal team set in that time.
    Such is the joy of reviewing everything...or perhaps...anything.

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Does anyone like Nick Saban? Next to Bill Belichick he must be one of the most dislikeable people in sports.
    I have no dislike for Saban, .. Belichick however is loved and adored out here.

8. Collapse Details

Three years ago, LSU allegedly "settled" for Ed Orgeron after they couldn't land Tom Herman, but look at them now.

Tom Herman fires defensive coordinator and 2 position coaches.

9. Collapse Details

Ole Miss WR's mimed peeing may not get his scholarship revoked however his coach had his job revoked. Matt Luke out at Ole Miss.

10. Collapse Details

Ole Miss WR's mimed peeing may not get his scholarship revoked however his coach had his job revoked. Matt Luke out at Ole Miss.
    IMO it reflects on the player's coach when he does something like that. Can you imagine one of Nick Saban's players doing something this? It really was a selfish act.