Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    from the SF Chron this morning on Cal vs. Washington

<<...The Pac-12 Conference opener for the schools ended up being a strange night on the shore of Lake Washington... A severe thunder and lightning storm delayed the game early in the first quarter and left only a smattering of fans waiting out the lengthy delay when the game resumed at 10:30 p.m. and finally ended at 1:22 a.m...>>

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    from the SF Chron this morning on Cal vs. Washington

<<...The Pac-12 Conference opener for the schools ended up being a strange night on the shore of Lake Washington... A severe thunder and lightning storm delayed the game early in the first quarter and left only a smattering of fans waiting out the lengthy delay when the game resumed at 10:30 p.m. and finally ended at 1:22 a.m...>>
    I didn't realize there was a delay and thus thought I was watching a replay at 2am here in Eastern timezone.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    It's been my experience as an athlete and a fan that losing feels worse than winning feels good and it stays with you longer. Have you not had any experiences as an athlete that you still think about from time to time and that you wish you could do over?
    Yeah, but it doesn't haunt me. Patients that didn't do well still haunt me, however.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    The next time a Florida State apologist falls back on Seminoles as a mascot honoring a brave Indian tribe, you can bring up this line

<<You got to scalp 'em Seminoles!>>

I love it ! and completely appropriate and fitting as a football fightn song!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Yeah, but it doesn't haunt me. Patients that didn't do well still haunt me, however.
    Is it just semantics we're talking about? Of course matters of life and death are more important than sports, but that doesn't take away from the fact if you stay involved in sports long enough, either as an athlete or a coach, you'll have regrets that linger long after the competition.

Furthermore, I suspect that the bigger the moment and the higher the stakes, the bigger the regret/haunt. Is haunt too strong a word to describe what Bill Buckner, Lolo Jones, Jackie Smith or Lindsey Jacobellis must have felt after their famous choke jobs? Or bringing it closer to home, how do you imagine you would feel today, if you had been in position to win the Masters 40 years ago, and snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory the way Jean Van de Velde did at the British Open?

Yesterday, Army had a chance to beat Michigan in the Big House, and for most of the players and coaches involved that would have been the pinnacle of their athletic careers, and I'm sure most of the members of the 2007 Appalachian State football team, most of whom never played in the NFL, can appreciate what I'm taking about. Hell, my brother graduated from Army 23 years ago, wasn't on the football team and this morning he texted "I'm still feeling physically ill".
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 09-08-2019 at 07:38 PM.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That's what sports is all about...winners and losers...some handle it well and others don't...there was an occasional guy in our running group in Eugene around 1980 who was sort of a basket case....then I found out he had been 4th in the swimming Olympic Trials years before....he never got over it....I thought it was pretty strange...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Is it just semantics we're talking about?

Hell, my brother graduated from Army 23 years ago, wasn't on the football team and this morning he texted "I'm still feeling physically ill".
    Probably semantics

Is that the brother I met when we had dinner together in Raleigh - his wife is the TV news anchor? I didn't remember him saying he went to USMA, but I may have missed it.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    As far as breaking hearts....nothing compares to the Chicago Cubs in 1969....but there is not a more fond loving memory in the city than that team....meanwhile the 2016 Cubs won and I doubt in 50 years anyone will have the vaguest memory, other than one or two, of who was on that team.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Probably semantics

Is that the brother I met when we had dinner together in Raleigh - his wife is the TV news anchor? I didn't remember him saying he went to USMA, but I may have missed it.
    Yes, that's the brother you met. He's no longer active in the Army aside from two weeks a year, and he's a pediatrician in Chapel Hill now.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    As far as breaking hearts....nothing compares to the Chicago Cubs in 1969....but there is not a more fond loving memory in the city than that team....meanwhile the 2016 Cubs won and I doubt in 50 years anyone will have the vaguest memory, other than one or two, of who was on that team.
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I once heard Paul Warfield say that he still thinks about the Dolphins' loss to the Raiders in the 1974 AFC Championship game that ended their quest for a 3-peat. This from a guy who was a member of a team that had the only perfect season in NFL history. The thrill of victory fades quickly, but not the agony of defeat.