Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Scott and other leaders in college sports — including the N.C.A.A. president, Mark Emmert, in a letter to California legislators this summer — paint a doomsday scenario for the state’s athletic teams if the bill becomes law. They say that colleges in California could be prohibited from competing for N.C.A.A. championships because they would have an unfair recruiting advantage — being able to lure athletes with the possibility of cashing in on anything from jersey sales to sponsorship deals.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/s...alifornia.html

2. Collapse Details

Administrator

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Petersen, Shaw, Kelly face national media scrutiny following bad losses
    As well they should - they are paid a whole lotta $$$ to win, and the mantra in Div I FB is a version of their scholastic colleagues' 'publish or perish' dictum, to wit, 'produce or perish'.

And this is not unique to the Pac-12; it's everywhere.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....

Ohio State University told it can’t trademark ‘the’ ....

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/20...mpression=true

5. Collapse Details

Tim Tebow.....I'll give everyone a minute to properly genuflect....

....on college athletes and endorsements.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...nately-shares/

Social media did not take to this all that well.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Tim Tebow....on college athletes and endorsements.
    That's his opinion, and though I do not share it, I do see his point.

Tebow Tangent - I really don't see why so many people have a problem with his religiosity. He believes something passionately, does not hinder others' pursuits of happiness and does great things charitably. I wasn't a Gator fan till he came along and then bled orange and blue for his tenure. I love his 'live life passionately' attitude.

7. Collapse Details

Despite all the praise that was heaped on LSU and Joe Burrow after last weekend's win over Texas, a good many of the local talking heads are anxious about what that style of offense will do to the defense, which failed to get a stop in the second half. They understand the rationale for the fast tempo but they also realize that no defense can hold up if they're on the field for 85+ plays in 100 degree heat, and not many would hold up in late fall weather. As much as they were glad to see Les Miles you didn't have to worry about his defenses being on the field for 90 plays unless the game went to triple overtime.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Tim Tebow.....I'll give everyone a minute to properly genuflect....

....on college athletes and endorsements.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...nately-shares/

Social media did not take to this all that well.
    I might be sympathetic to Tebow's Pollyanna idea of student-athletes if college coaches led by example instead if trying to squeeze every penny they can out colleges. I'd like to hear Tebow's take on the coaches.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I might be sympathetic to Tebow's Pollyanna idea of student-athletes if college coaches led by example instead if trying to squeeze every penny they can out colleges. I'd like to hear Tebow's take on the coaches.
    Yes....millionaire coaches screaming at unpaid, scholarship or not, college players is a huge turnoff....'You are killing my postseason bonus!'....and of course loyalty for coaches is basically looking after a big paycheck.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That's his opinion, and though I do not share it, I do see his point.

Tebow Tangent - I really don't see why so many people have a problem with his religiosity. He believes something passionately, does not hinder others' pursuits of happiness and does great things charitably. I wasn't a Gator fan till he came along and then bled orange and blue for his tenure. I love his 'live life passionately' attitude.
    To be clear I don't have a problem at all with Tebow's religious-ness...if that's the right word. My comment was made in jest and, if anything, was more of a reaction to how some fans and much of the media reacted to him when he played.

I think the guy is terrific as a studio analyst and has sponsored some events my wife and family have been able to take advantage of.

The only negative I had against him was I didn't think he would be an NFL QB of any value but he was one of the best college players I've ever seen.