Facts, Not Fiction

Page 71 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Georgia only dropped one spot to #5 and Wisconsin remained at #8. Also, Oregon jumped 7 spots to #6. If only they hadn't stepped on that banana peel in Arizona a couple of weeks ago . . . . .

EDIT: Clemson is a 2-point favorite over Ohio State and LSU is a 10-point favorite over Oklahoma. I'm surprised about the Clemson-Ohio State line. It will be interesting to see how those lines move over the next 3 weeks. Ed Orgeron should send a thank you note to CFP Chairman Rob Mullen for putting his defense on blast 2 weeks ago after the Committee dropped LSU from #1 to #2.

For the second year in a row, a 2-team format would have been too small and an 8-team format too big IMO. There have been a few years in the BCS/CFP era in which the 2-team format would have been big enough (eg. 1999, 2002, 2005) but there hasn't been a year in which the 4-team format would have been too small. An 8-team format would have made the Big 10, Big 12 and SEC Championship games meaningless, not to mention quite a few regular season games (eg. Oregon-Arizona State, LSU-Alabama, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Alabama, AUburn, etc).
    Losses are losses....they happen...but playing Auburn was an own goal....

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    They have a shot with a win Saturday.
    A doubleheader.....Yes another win Saturday would have done it....

3. Collapse Details

Anyways the Rose Bowl is great....the traditional game....I was hoping Minnesota would be the opponent....we went to the 1962 Rose Bowl when the Gophers last competed.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Losses are losses....they happen...but playing Auburn was an own goal....
    I'm surprised that you would so readily forgive the Ducks for the Arizona State debacle. Would you really prefer that Oregon fill their non-conference schedule with cupcakes the way Baylor does? Remember, prior to losing to Arizona State, the 8-1 Ducks were ranked #6, which was 7 spots ahead of the 9-0 Bears who were ranked behind 6 one-loss teams and 2 two-loss teams. This shows that there is a downside to feasting on cupcakes.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    You should be on SportsCenter. :-)
    I watch SportsCenter so you don't have to, but don't worry, the indoor track season is just a month away.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I'm surprised that you would so readily forgive the Ducks for the Arizona State debacle. Would you really prefer that Oregon fill their non-conference schedule with cupcakes the way Baylor does? Remember, prior to losing to Arizona State, the 8-1 Ducks were ranked #6, which was 7 spots ahead of the 9-0 Bears who were ranked behind 6 one-loss teams and 2 two-loss teams. This shows that there is a downside to feasting on cupcakes.
    Forgive? It's a football game...they lost....

Cupcakes...with frosting...

Ohio State played Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati and Miami (of Ohio)....in the preseason...

You could play against God and lose....and it's still a loss....zero incentive to schedule a game against Auburn in Texas no less....win they would have barely moved up in the rankings...

7. Collapse Details

Ohio State played Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati and Miami (of Ohio)....in the preseason.
    Bringing up Ohio State's schedule undermines your argument, it doesn't prove your point. First of all, Cincinnati is ranked, FAU and Miami just won their conferences and combined they won 29 games this season. Baylor's non-conference opponents all finished at the bottom of their conference's, combined for 10 wins and one of them is an FCS school.

Cupcake =/= Group of 5 team
    Cupcake = Crappy team

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    You could play against God and lose....and it's still a loss....zero incentive to schedule a game against Auburn in Texas no less....win they would have barely moved up in the rankings...
    If schedule strength really didn't matter, Clemson wouldn't have bumped up against the glass ceiling that prevented them from rising higher #3 due to the historic weakness of its conference.

8. Collapse Details

Comparing Auburn with Ohio State playing that lot at home is silly....

I think you watch too much Sport Center....I can't remember the last time I watched that dumb show....

9. Collapse Details

Comparing Auburn with Ohio State playing that lot at home is silly.....
    What's silly is not being able to recognize the difference between Ohio State's non- conference schedule and Baylor's. No need for the straw men. By the way, in the two seasons that Oregon played for the national championship (2010, 2014) they pkayed non-conference games at Tennessee and Michigan State.

10. Collapse Details

Well, Wisconsin's last-second loss on a 40+ yard FG ended up with no effect on anything of note, as far as I can see. The still would be 0-2 versus OSU unless you allow them to swap halves (take the first half from each game). It shows how much deeper OSU is; I am not sure that Wisconsin has any 5-star recruits and few 4-star ones beyond Taylor. Typical UW recruiting class averages about 40th ranked; when they re-rank them three years later they end of around 15th.

I wonder what would happen if they cut the number of Football scholarships by 20; a lot of talent would end up in the mid-majors, and in the lower-to-mid-levels of Pac-12/Big Ten. Instead, what the NCAA is doing is allowing second round recruiting the feeds the biggest programs.