Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: '19 Paris DL

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Fascinating! What do we make of this? Ryun and Wottle both ran 1:44.3 decades ago. Is this the fastest an 800 can be run w/negative split? What if Rudisha in London went out 50.5? Could he have come home 50.4?

Love this kind of thought experiment/debate. Why are the 400 and 800 the only distances where the WR isn't regularly run with negative splits?
    I believe it has to do with the predominant energy systems for each though I am certainly not a sports scientist. The lactic system though not the sole supplier of energy is important for both. Those events are closer to (along with 400mH for outdoor events) 50%-50% aerobic/anaerobic respectively than any other events. One study has the 400m as 41/59 for males 45/55 for females and 800m as 60/40 for males and 70/30 for females.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    I wish we would, but to me it was obvious long before this year. And I am a bit skeptical of the Jamaican times in their nationals. When I see a couple of 10.72s at worlds I'll believe it, but we won't.
    So the 10.74 that Pryce ran in Switzerland?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by reggaeirie1234 View Post
    So the 10.74 that Pryce ran in Switzerland?
    And the 10.78 in London. Yes I'd briefly forgotten those when I posted that. I was thinking about Elaine Thompson and maybe she's backed off and soon ready to ramp it up again.

4. Collapse Details

I don't understand questioning Thompson's runs at home when she's run 10.7 at the Olympics as well as on the circuit. She's often been up and down in time, due to her training cycles.

I'm also convinced she will run well under 22 secs in the 200 final in Doha and win.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
    Just wondering - how hard is it to rearrange lane draws at these meets. A bit of my OCD playing out but it always gets to me when am athlete not in lane 1 withdraws and you have an empty lane on one of the outer lanes like in the men's 200m. If it really impossible to have moved the athlete in lane 1 or 2 out there?
    Shouldn't be that difficult really. It's not like a Champs where there are set criteria for particular lanes from the previous round.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Shouldn't be that difficult really. It's not like a Champs where there are set criteria for particular lanes from the previous round.
    Arent lane assignments part of the negotiations with some? Moving a decent performer from lane 2 to 7 might upset those in 4,5 and 6.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Arent lane assignments part of the negotiations with some? Moving a decent performer from lane 2 to 7 might upset those in 4,5 and 6.
    In a truly fair world it really shouldn't and the athlete going into lane 2 probably should on paper be a lesser performer than the original occupant of lane 7. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a particularly pushy agent of a 'star' might veto it.

I suspect what often tends to happen is that the time between the withdrawal being confirmed and the race is insufficient for a change in lane draw to be agreed to by the representatives of the big names.
    Last edited by Trickstat; 08-26-2019 at 05:55 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    on the other hand, 49.28/51.63 worked just fine for rudisha :-)
    lol

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I suspect TV would go batshit at late lane changes. Even with modern graphics technology, my guess is that they wouldn't to get into fiddling with it.

But I've argued for movement and/or lane-fillign in my column for years.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    at this point I'd suggest she should put all her eggs in the 200 basket
    To me she looks too big. What would be her prospects if she returned to the heptathlon. BTW, im back. Its been 10 or so years since I posted. Glad to see most of you still here.