Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Yep just like Bad Boys for Life (Bad Boys III) where the original franchise co-stars received:

Will Smith $17m
    Martin Lawrence $6m

I didn't realise that Martin Lawrence was a woman because there is no other explanation for pay disparity for co-stars.

It's not like Will Smith having greater name recognition and bigger box office than Martin Lawrence would allow him to actually negotiate a higher salary.
    If you have ever watched Martin Lawrence in action, it would be much clearer.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Why aren't the women negotiating for better pay? Why are they accepting less pay, if they are worth more? Seems like they are admitting to being of less worth since they sign on the line. I have a side-gig as a personal trainer. If I only charge $25/hr because that's all I think I'm worth I can't get bent out of shape if a more confident (or indeed accomplished) PT charges and gets $40/hr.

Maybe they have other reasons for accepting less pay. Tom Brady has his reasons. No one is leaping to his defense, wringing their hands.
    Negotiations require two parties. I only one party is willing to move, it is not much of a dance.

And keep in mind that there are incredibly talented women out there, so it is not a matter of what the performer can do. How many roles are written so that they could be performed by either a man or a woman?

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Astounding salaries for actors that never even played a role in the two greatest film sagas of the age: Terminator and Rambo!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Negotiations require two parties. I only one party is willing to move, it is not much of a dance.

And keep in mind that there are incredibly talented women out there, so it is not a matter of what the performer can do. How many roles are written so that they could be performed by either a man or a woman?
    Okay? Why aren't the women writing the roles? Women writers are equally as talented, I'm sure you'll agree. Why aren't they writing the blockbuster roles for women?

Half of the population is female. Why aren't they supporting movies with women in lead roles, thus creating a situation where women can demand higher salaries? Women could solve this "problem" all by themselves.

You can't force the viewing public to flock to movies that have themes that center around feminine issues. And you can't force the viewing public to endlessly accept women in roles that are clearly designed/work better with men. (Action roles: Die Hard, Braveheart, Gladiator, whatever The Rock does, etc...)

The market dictates this. Who are you all mad at? The Market? Are we getting to the point that we're going to force people to watch things they don't want just to even out salaries for women?

What's the realistic solution?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Okay? Why aren't the women writing the roles? Women writers are equally as talented, I'm sure you'll agree. Why aren't they writing the blockbuster roles for women?

Half of the population is female. Why aren't they supporting movies with women in lead roles, thus creating a situation where women can demand higher salaries? Women could solve this "problem" all by themselves.

You can't force the viewing public to flock to movies that have themes that center around feminine issues. And you can't force the viewing public to endlessly accept women in roles that are clearly designed/work better with men. (Action roles: Die Hard, Braveheart, Gladiator, whatever The Rock does, etc...)

The market dictates this. Who are you all mad at? The Market? Are we getting to the point that we're going to force people to watch things they don't want just to even out salaries for women?

What's the realistic solution?
    Reese Witherspoon is starting to do that and has been lauded for her efforts. But I think the producers, who have the $ and call the shots, have not supported women writers and directors and other female producers, not allowing them to break thru that glass ceiling. I don't think its as easy as saying they should negotiate better.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    the [male] producers, who have the $ and call the shots, have not supported women writers and directors and other female producers, not allowing them to break thru that glass ceiling. I don't think its as easy as saying they should negotiate better.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I'm not convinced that women writers will be able to imagine and create scripts that make feminine issues irresistible to average people. I suspect that male writers would be just as good for that Herculean task.

On the other hand it is such a worthy use of time and money. It is vitally important for average people to see that all billionaires are created equal.
    Last edited by user4; 08-26-2019 at 11:26 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I'm not convinced that women writers will be able to imagine and create scripts that make feminine issues irresistible to average people. I suspect that male writers would be just as good for that Herculean task.
    I don't think that's true at all. No way I or any man could write about feminine issues as well as a woman could. I don't feel the same things she/they do.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    If you have ever watched Martin Lawrence in action, it would be much clearer.
    And yet, at their height, each commanded $20m per film, despite what you think of Lawrence.

Will Smith's crap just has better longevity and thus potential profit than Lawrence's crap.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    But I think the producers, who have the $ and call the shots, have not supported women writers and directors and other female producers, not allowing them to break thru that glass ceiling.
    Mary Pickford stumped up cash to form United Artists just on a century ago to avoid being subject to "non-artiste" exploitation. She had equal shares with the three men involved.

Whether you judge UA to be a success or not, she didn't sit on her arse waiting for others to give her permission to control her destiny. She had real agency, she didn't just talk about it.

The top 20 actresses currently earn a quarter of a billion dollars a year. That's plenty to invest in some high quality scripts and movies without having to suck off the Weinsteins of the world.

How much of that do they risk? A: fuck all, apart from a few beginners.