Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Should I worry that I don't know who half those people are?
    My first question also!

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    you missed El Toro's sly irony

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    you missed El Toro's sly irony
    Yes I did! It hit me after I posted it, so I edited my post to comment on that, and then deleted the post.
    Last edited by bobguild76; 08-24-2019 at 05:41 PM.

4. Collapse Details

I recognized the names of 7 of the females and 4 of the males.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I recognized the names of 7 of the females and 4 of the males.
    Yeah, but could you remember anything about the names? I have heard the name Scarlett Johanson but I can't picture her face and I know nothing about her. There is no way she is worth what the Rock is worth.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Yeah, but could you remember anything about the names? I have heard the name Scarlett Johanson but I can't picture her face and I know nothing about her. There is no way she is worth what the Rock is worth.
    People who have watched the Avengers movies might disagree.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    A-list stars always get more than B-list.
    Now compare A-list men to A-list women.
    Compare #1 man to #1 woman.
    Do the same for every number, 2 - 10.
    Notice anything?
    It's not place by place by place but let's look at the men first.

I think to be clear, the figures provided are total income from all souces, including endorsements, NOT just salary for appearing in roles.

I don't follow movies closely nowadays but even I (and boond) can tell that a lot of that money is not for "acting", per se.

Rather it is made from the comic book complexity movies targeted at the most profitable audience, and this is where Johnson/Hemsworth/Downey/Evans/Rudd have scored big, especially with the opportunity for profit shares and multiple ones at that.

Additionally, in the men, you have Kumar/Chan/Sandler with long histories of producing their own profitable movies with the resultant backends boosting their numbers. So that's 8 out of 10 men with incomes driven by more than acting payments.

There are no TV actors at all in the men.

8. Collapse Details

For the women, only Johansson seems to be in the comic book position at the moment but Robbie could hit the big time if her production of Birds of Prey is profitable when released next year.

In the women, there is a much greater TV presence (including streaming) with Vergara/Cuoco/Pompeo only successfull on the small screen in long running serials. This provides them with residuals to fund their lifestyles for years. They are clearly getting the best return for the lowest risk but once their singular roles finish, so will their earning capacity.

Witherspoon/Aniston/Kidman/Moss have success in both but Aniston mostly in TV with Friends residuals of $10m yearly. Lucky, because nobody wants to pay her to be in movies anymore because she doesn't make money and can't act like Nicole Kidman (who loses even more).

Witherspoon/Kidman and Robbie have also produced successful ventures but only recently, unlike Chan et al. Robbie, whose first production, I Tonya, was profitable has the possibly of hitting the comic book franchise jackpot with her production of Birds of Prey due next year. If all three maintain this success for 20 years like Sandler, they will have equivalent incomes (but fewer dumb movies).

9. Collapse Details

So, the men are dominated by flavour of the month movie styles, built on an ecosystem of majority male characters, so it's not surprising that they are at the top of the list. These movies make so much money even, lying, thieving, studio accountants can't hide all the profit, so this profit actually flows to the actors and lets them earn significant sums - for the moment.

Only one woman is in that position and she's the highest paid woman by a margin. If the industry could make this sort of money off female comic book characters but not men's, you'd find the lists would be reversed.

The men also have more successful, long-term entrepeneurs, who get a bigger share of the pie than actors who are only paid for roles. Some women have started down this path but have yet to match the long term success of the men, so there is no way that they can match income.

All in all, luck and risk taking seem to have the biggest impact on which individuals have the top incomes. However, that luck and risk taking is built on a financial system whose income is dependent on high spending people who value roles and movie types less conducive to female success. If that changes, income distribution will change. Good luck with that!.

By the way, while searching for data on this issue, I found this interesting website which has lots of interesting data, in particular a Bankability Index designed to measure value individuals bring to a movie project. The Rock is high up on that list as well.

10. Collapse Details

Really interesting posts, El Toro