Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Both Represent Real Winners
    Happy birthday today (Friday) to two Olympic champions born a total of 174 years ago today.

Both birthday athletes competed in two Olympic Games, both won Olympic silver medals, and both won Olympic gold medals as teenagers.

No hurdles were involved in any of these Olympic medals.

One of our birthday athletes was born on a Sunday and the other won Olympic gold on a Sunday.

The person who won gold on a Sunday was 42 years old when the other champion was born.

Only one of these two athletes is still alive and that person turns 66 today.

Three of the four Olympics these two competed in were held in Europe.

You might know that the athlete born on a Sunday won Olympic gold 17 days after turning 19.

Born the same year as Ronald W. Reagan, this athlete won Olympic gold 23 days before turning 17.

Did you know that one of our birthday people won two Olympic gold medals?

Now is the time to name these two champions.

2. Collapse Details

So, the older, born in 1911, won in 1928.

The younger, born in 1953, won in 1972.

What was the name of the guy who won long jump in Munich? Somethiing like Randy Williams???

3. Collapse Details

Happy birthday today (66) to Randy Williams and very good, Olli. Yes, Randy Williams had just turned 19 years old when he won the long jump (8.24 or 27' 1/2") in Munich at the 1972 Olympics. Four years later in Montreal he took the long jump silver medal (8.11 or 26' 7 1/4") about a month before turning 23.

Now, who is the other birthday athlete for this penultimate Friday of August? This other birthday athlete died 20 years ago at the age of 87 and did not compete in the Olympic long jump.

4. Collapse Details

OK, my somewhat insecure recollection of Randy Williams's name turned out right. About the older one I have no idea; I mostly do not know the historical stuff. Munich 1972, on the other hand, was the first Olympics I actively followed (at 8) and still remember most of the winners.

5. Collapse Details

Even I wasn't alive in 1928.

6. Collapse Details

Betty Robinson?

7. Collapse Details

Very well done, LopenUupunut. Betty Robinson it is. She was born 108 years ago today and went on to win the 100 at the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam. She was only 16 when winning that race. About five days later, she anchored the U.S. four by 100 relay team to a silver medal (the gold to Canada).

Robinson missed the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics because of a plane crash in which she was seriously injured in 1931. It took her several months to recover from that accident, but she did make the Olympic team to Berlin in 1936. In Berlin, she ran the third leg on the winning four by 100 relay team (Germany's anchor woman dropped the baton).

Betty Robinson died in May of 1999 at the age of 87.