Facts, Not Fiction

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
    I used to hang my hat on this approach, but Armstrong never failed a test and he was a walking pharmacy. Add all the others (Marion Jones, etc.), I no longer believe anyone is clean. It's cynical, it's too bad, I keep it to myself. But when someone knocks out a stellar performance, I give a little cheer and then slink back into my cave with a "might be clean, might not, we'll probably never know".

Which is a far cry from the look of wonder I gave to my heroes of the sport from the 50s to the 70s, who were all as pure as the driven snow.

Um, right?
    The TDF and Armstrong are not the the greatest anti doping argument.

When the TDF was inaugurated it was a drug fueled survival race around France. Everyone doped to the extent of the current available compounds. It wasn't scorned, it was expected. They even have stories of DQs due to using a blacksmith to repair a fork.
    Pantani is treated the same as Armstrong, nor is Merkx or Fignon, and no one wants to call out Hinault, who avoided tests. Virenque is a cycling commentator. LA 's issue was he is an a hole, not so much his doping, other than him being so 'good' at it.
    Its a tough event. It is still a tough event.

2. Collapse Details

I mentioned this years ago, but I knew guys who were using illegal substances in high school, in small town Kentucky, in 1975. This has been more wide spread than we would like to think.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    i find it instructive to note that Coleman hasn't competed since USATF at the end of July. Let's hope the 100 heats suffice as a sufficient rust-buster.

Maybe he should petition to enter the run-in round of the 100 :-)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i find it instructive to note that Coleman hasn't competed since USATF at the end of July.
    I'll guess he's been taking out his missed-tests-ferfuffle frustration out on the track and he arrives SUPER-fit. I still think he's the 100 fave, but he may not even beat Guliyev for the 200 bronze.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'll guess he's been taking out his missed-tests-ferfuffle frustration out on the track and he arrives SUPER-fit. I still think he's the 100 fave, but he may not even beat Guliyev for the 200 bronze.
    Who do you have for silver behind Lyles?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    Who do you have for silver behind Lyles?
    DeGrasse!