Facts, Not Fiction

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    A guide that I imagine many believe is part of Colemanís personal book collection, and one that is oft consulted.

I'm more in favor of Coleman and his team just doing a poor job of updating their whereabouts, as an explanation of missed tests. But there have to be rules to prevent those who would go to such lengths to cheat.

Misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence.

-von Goethe

2. Collapse Details

I'm a confirmed agnostic about all this.
    Do people comply with all the rules and still cheat? I'm sure they do.
    Are some people busted by these rules clean? Sure.

I'm getting the impression that the big kids are being tested a LOT, and that should be the entering argument in the PEDs War - are we testing them 'regularly'?

I am anti-PEDs, but I'm not so naive to think that some (many?) top athletes are cheating and still getting away with it . . . as they always have. There are athletes right now whose performances raise the same questions that the PEDsters of yesteryear raised.

I have no solution here, but if we test a guy several times a year, that's probably all we can do, without catching the 'innocents' in our nets.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence. -von Goethe
    Apropos of nothing and certainly on the pedantic side of scholastic endeavors, I had to read a lot about that dude, as I minored in German in college, and that's the first time I've ever seen a 'von' before his surname used alone. Great quote, though!

edit: more great quotes of his

https://www.goalcast.com/2019/04/02/...goethe-quotes/
    Last edited by Atticus; 09-11-2019 at 09:23 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Apropos of nothing and certainly on the pedantic side of scholastic endeavors, I had to read a lot about that dude, as I minored in German in college, and that's the first time I've ever seen a 'von' before his surname used alone. Great quote, though!

edit: more great quotes of his

https://www.goalcast.com/2019/04/02/...goethe-quotes/
    Thank you for the list of quotes!

I wasn't sure of the proper way to attribute it to him, so I incorrectly added the 'von'.

Also apropos of nothing, I heard the quote during a college German class, and remembered it vaguely. I searched for it and came up with something called Hanlon's Razor, which according to Wikipedia (grain of salt added here) was based on Goethe's quote.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm getting the impression that the big kids are being tested a LOT, and that should be the entering argument in the PEDs War - are we testing them 'regularly'?
    I used to hang my hat on this approach, but Armstrong never failed a test and he was a walking pharmacy. Add all the others (Marion Jones, etc.), I no longer believe anyone is clean. It's cynical, it's too bad, I keep it to myself. But when someone knocks out a stellar performance, I give a little cheer and then slink back into my cave with a "might be clean, might not, we'll probably never know".

Which is a far cry from the look of wonder I gave to my heroes of the sport from the 50s to the 70s, who were all as pure as the driven snow.

Um, right?

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post

Which is a far cry from the look of wonder I gave to my heroes of the sport from the 50s to the 70s, who were all as pure as the driven snow.

Um, right?
    important to remember that the first Olympics where steroids were spelled out as illegal was '72

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I had to laugh at The Onion's take, but then I realized that, of course, the real defense of Justify would be based on contaminated feed.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...kentucky-derby

9. Collapse Details

In other news, Michelle-Lee Ahye provisionally suspended for 3 whereabouts failures in 12 months (June 23rd 2018, Feb 23 2019 and Apr 19th 2019).

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    was its own thread a few days back