Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
    The Daily Mail printing the truth for once. This innovation should be applauded.
    If the truth wasn't sensational would they have done the same? Sincerity might deserve applause. Otherwise nothing special.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    But . . . as I vaguely remember . . . you have to do it well in advance, so any desire to live a spontaneous life, where you follow your bliss or react to real-world scenarios - is out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Vaguely remember? In other words you don't know....
    As the home-page article says, you have to send it in quarterly, so you have to know where you'll be in 85 days. Or amend it with a text, which again presumably means can can't react to real-world demands without ccing USADA on your daily life. It's called 'onerous' and a 'disincentive' by the athletes, but as has been pointed out, it's their job and they don't have to take it, except yes, they do, because in order to 'persue happiness' (be a pro ahlete) you have to give up your daily life? The answer is yes, of course, but the least we can do is have some empathy and understanding when real-life impinges on USADA's needs. I don't know CC at all, but I'd like to hear his story before I rain judgement upon him.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    As noted in the rules you can text updates...there really is no excuse to miss 3 times...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Does the system acknowledge every text it receives? Lost texts can be a real problem, especially when one is texting from outside the US to a recipient inside the US.
    If its an app, I would assume its more along the lines of a Whatsapp, or even Facebook messenger or the likes. Completely different from texting a phone number in a different country and bound by the rules of your carriers plan.

Just an assumption though as it makes the most sense. In 2019 (or 18, or 17 etc.), the use of basic phone texting for a process like this on an international scale would be pretty ridiculous.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Like amazon.com is not the same as aboutamazon.com?

Clicking on "Top Stories" at AP.org brings you to apnews.com
    My bad, you're right. I assumed that it was a different and perhaps less reputable website. A common tactic of internet fraudsters is using familiar looking addresses to trick people.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It's called 'onerous' and a 'disincentive' by the athletes, but as has been pointed out, it's their job and they don't have to take it, except yes, they do, because in order to 'persue happiness' (be a pro ahlete) you have to give up your daily life? The answer is yes, of course, but the least we can do is have some empathy and understanding when real-life impinges on USADA's needs. I don't know CC at all, but I'd like to hear his story before I rain judgement upon him.
    "Give up your daily life" sounds like exaggeration.

Having to make reasonable modifications to your schedule - because you're enjoying what almost everyone who ever competed wanted and found out they'd never have - to help ensure fair sport, is more like it.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 08-23-2019 at 01:42 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    My bad, you're right. I assumed that it was a different and perhaps less reputable website. A common tactic of internet fraudsters is using familiar looking addresses to trick people.
    Is that what you were talking about...I think internet fraudsters have more lucrative options than the goings ons of a sprinter.

8. Collapse Details

apnews has has been around awhile...

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    The Daily Mail is usually pretty legit on sports stuff.

I believe athletes have multiple ways to update their whereabouts, I think there is an app and traditional text messages.

10. Collapse Details

How do you announce a violation and then say he may be banned? Lol. USADA.