Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Notebook doodling is not comparable to the proliferation of phones in classes, smartass.�� I never took away a book from a student for doodling. That's just silly and you know it.
    F- for the "analogy".
    I give it a B. Both things are ways to kill time waiting for the bell to ring while not paying attention.

2. Collapse Details

Notebook doodling is not comparable to the proliferation of phones in classes, smartass.😀 I never took away a book from a student for doodling. That's just silly and you know it.
    F- for the "analogy".
    Not paying attention is not paying attention. The teacher has to deal with it no matter the reason.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Not paying attention is not paying attention. The teacher has to deal with it no matter the reason.
    Most of us learned to walk and chew gum at the same time by the age of 5.

And not paying taxes is not paying taxes, but you don't expect courts to view all such acts equally, because they have varying degrees of "severity".

Not paying attention for 5 seconds is ≠ not paying attention for 10 minutes, and the list of possible reasons for being distracted is a mile long.

Apples and pineapples, and one is edible with the skin on.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 08-23-2019 at 08:20 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Not paying attention for 5 seconds is ≠ not paying attention for 10 minutes,
    If you think pre-phone not-paying-attention is not the identical thing to phone-NPA, you never taught a HS class.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    If you think pre-phone not-paying-attention is not the identical thing to phone-NPA, you never taught a HS class.
    Right, only someone who has taught a HS class could possibly know what it's like to try teach while kids are on a phone, or appreciate the difference between doodling, and texting, watching videos, playing games, and being in a conversation. But hey, you gave the analogy a B, so no big surprise.

Grade 8 teachers and college professors who have tried to teach to kids on phones, pack your bags.

6. Collapse Details

Right, only someone who has taught a HS class could possibly know what it's like to try teach while kids are on a phone, or appreciate the difference between doodling, and texting, watching videos, playing games, and being in a conversation.
    It's big of you to admit that. ;-)

edit - there's an invisible winky face there - you can see it if you try to quote it.

7. Collapse Details

To heck with this cell phone debate, I want to know how someone gets away with tens of thousands of posts during the work day at a school

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    To heck with this cell phone debate, I want to know how someone gets away with tens of thousands of posts during the work day at a school
    The short answer is that now that I am a way-over-the-hill geezer, I only teach 3 classes, but they're scattered across the day, so I gots me plenty'o'free-time! I am also enormously ADD (tongue only half-way in cheek), so after I spend an arduous 30 minutes doing school work, I have to surf the inter-webs to sate my unquenchable thirst for trivia (and T&F stuff!). Ain't life grand?

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details

The 25-year-old comedian halted his stand-up routine Monday to unload an expletive-filled rant against college students who had their phones out during his show at the University of Central Florida.
    Pete D has made it abundantly clear that he has impulse-control issues.

He and his therapist (which he sees frequently, or so he says on SNL), need to come up with better coping mechanisms.