Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,821
    I'll go along with Atticus. Read em the riot act before classes start and make the screwups regret it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I'll go along with Atticus. Read em the riot act before classes start and make the screwups regret it.
    You say it more succinctly.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    students who aren't paying attention are wasting other people's time and money, not to mention their own time.
    Parents who complain should think about that last point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Blaming the behavior described here on cell phones? I seem to vaguely recall kids goofing off in class since I began elementary school in 1951. Guess we were ahead of the curve...
    Also recall looney teachers way back in the day :-)
    What else would you blame it on? The article linked by gh when he started the thread quoted staff as saying : "We could walk into a variety of classrooms, and kids would be on their cellphones anywhere from 5 seconds, checking a text, to 30 to 45 minutes at a time,".... , Suzy could you please read the sentence just read by Alice?

    So, students who aren't paying attention BECAUSE they're on their phones.... are indeed wasting their time, and your tax dollars.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    So, students who aren't paying attention BECAUSE they're on their phones.... are indeed wasting their time, and your tax dollars.
    Agreed. So you do what lonewolf said, not lock up everyone's phone. That punishes the innocent too.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #35
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,837
    if the "innocents" aren't using their phones in the first place, how are they being punished by having them disabled for a few hours?
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    if the "innocents" aren't using their phones in the first place, how are they being punished by having them disabled for a few hours?
    Because they use it responsibly. We have designated times and places where you CAN use your cell phone. I often ask my students to pull theirs out and answer a question thru some quick research (not a simple Google search).
    Or if a student has a question I can't answer, I tell him/her to look it up and tell the rest of us the answer.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,821
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    What else would you blame it on? The article linked by gh when he started the thread quoted staff as saying : "We could walk into a variety of classrooms, and kids would be on their cellphones anywhere from 5 seconds, checking a text, to 30 to 45 minutes at a time,".... , Suzy could you please read the sentence just read by Alice?

    So, students who aren't paying attention BECAUSE they're on their phones.... are indeed wasting their time, and your tax dollars.
    Would you confiscate the notebooks I was doodling on when I was in school as well?
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Because they use it responsibly. We have designated times and places where you CAN use your cell phone. I often ask my students to pull theirs out and answer a question thru some quick research (not a simple Google search).
    Or if a student has a question I can't answer, I tell him/her to look it up and tell the rest of us the answer.
    I'm not sure what you mean when you tell them to do quick research that is "not a simple Google search". I would imagine that any research using a cell phone would start with Google or a similar search engine. Maybe that gets you to a Wiki page. Is that enough? I hope that whatever the student reports to the class, you later double-check the answer and if the student's answer is inaccurate or incomplete, you use that as an opportunity not only to provide an accurate and complete answer to the question, but also to teach the student and his/her classmates about how to do online research correctly and about the limitations of Google.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean when you tell them to do quick research that is "not a simple Google search". I would imagine that any research using a cell phone would start with Google or a similar search engine. Maybe that gets you to a Wiki page. Is that enough? I hope that whatever the student reports to the class, you later double-check the answer and if the student's answer is inaccurate or incomplete, you use that as an opportunity not only to provide an accurate and complete answer to the question, but also to teach the student and his/her classmates about how to do online research correctly and about the limitations of Google.
    Indeed. This ain't my first Row-Day-OH.
    Youda made a good teacher!
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Would you confiscate the notebooks I was doodling on when I was in school as well?
    Notebook doodling is not comparable to the proliferation of phones in classes, smartass.😀 I never took away a book from a student for doodling. That's just silly and you know it.
    F- for the "analogy".
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •