Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Teachers I have spoken with hate them but have given up the fight. Just one more nail in the coffin.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Don't they have public address systems with speakers in all the classrooms? That would get the word out in case of a school shooting. And parents can always let their kids know of an emergency the old fashioned way--call the school and ask them to get word to the kid.
    Pretty sure the shooter hears what goes out on the PA. Tells him what the response is. Parents calling during an active shooting will get no reply.

Phones for emergencies is just one small piece in the puzzle. Phones 24/7 are here to stay. Deal with it, manage it, teach respectful and responsible usage. Locking them away is just sticking your head in the sand.
    I always ask myself, is this response out of desperation or mindful reflection? In 5 years, this lock-them-up approach will be ridiculed as a myopic solution.

3. Collapse Details

Great idea to lock them up. The rule was implemented for a reason; the kids were probably overusing them in class, and disrupting classes with the ringing.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Great idea to lock them up. The rule was implemented for a reason; the kids were probably overusing them in class, and disrupting classes with the ringing.
    So explain why this NEVER happens in my classroom.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Your classroom isn't in that school. The rule is being implemented in that specific school in response to frequent cellphone disruptions in that school. It's not a nationwide law being imposed on all schools.

6. Collapse Details

I think Atticus has a point. There should be better ways for that school to deal with those disruptions. Proper training and supervision of the teachers by the school, and proper management of the classrooms by the teachers, should be enough.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Your classroom isn't in that school. The rule is being implemented in that specific school in response to frequent cellphone disruptions in that school. It's not a nationwide law being imposed on all schools.
    That's my point. It's the school's failure. The good responsible kids are being punished because the school can't figure out how to handle it. I have NEVER been a fan of 'we're going to punish all of you, because we can't figure out how to handle the few who don't know how to be responsible.'

edit - I have no problem with cracking down HARD on the offenders, but taking away everyone's phone is admitting defeat on the school's side.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-22-2019 at 04:39 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Because you are living in a bubble.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Because you are living in a bubble.
    Perhaps, but my grandson is a junior at a huge public school and they are having no problems either. If THAT school is having problems, they should simply look at at all the schools who are not, and adopt their policies.

10. Collapse Details

One of the kids in the school said: "When it was lunch and we had phones, nobody talked to each other. Now we do."
    Nuff said.