Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HS locks up cell phones
    Administrator
    good idea or bad?

(and try not to think like an old fart!)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/educati...-they-n1044636

2. Collapse Details

In general, a good idea. My 17 yo daughter spends too much time no hers, but makes straight A's so I'm not sure I can limit her time on her phone while at home, though we've talked about her limiting it on her own. Same with my son, but much of his time on it is spent watching political and educational podcasts and TED Talks. At school it's a different matter. The kids are there to learn, not play on their phones. Give them a break at lunch? Sure.

3. Collapse Details

Good idea during school hours... thirty minute reprieve during lunch break.

4. Collapse Details

Good idea. They should do the same with laptops

5. Collapse Details

The problem with that is that kids these days take notes on laptops rather than writing notes in longhand. It's more efficient. If the school is worried about kids surfing the web and sending emails to each other, they can just block the wifi.

6. Collapse Details

TERRIBLE IDEA!
    In case of emergency (school shooting anyone?), you just lost the ability to get word out. Plus parents may need to contact (text) their children in an emergency. Place the blame where it belongs - on the teachers who can't manage their classrooms. Respect and Responsibility are teachable, and that's what needs to happen. I've never had a problem I couldn't handle in the 10 years that smartphones have become ubiquitous.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    In case of emergency (school shooting anyone?), you just lost the ability to get word out. Plus parents may need to contact (text) their children in an emergency.
    Don't they have public address systems with speakers in all the classrooms? That would get the word out in case of a school shooting. And parents can always let their kids know of an emergency the old fashioned way--call the school and ask them to get word to the kid.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    The problem with that is that kids these days take notes on laptops rather than writing notes in longhand. It's more efficient. If the school is worried about kids surfing the web and sending emails to each other, they can just block the wifi.
    I can't remember the journal I read this in some years ago, but the article stated that writing notes vs typing them cemented the info in the brain of students much more deeply. There's something about the act of writing that's more...intimate?...to the learning experience.

Maybe more efficient time-wise, but not better. (According to the study)

I find this true myself, but that's just anecdotal.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

9. Collapse Details

I don't know how we all made it out alive without them for all those years.

10. Collapse Details

You can't apply how a generation or two ago handled things to today's world.

Safety concerns are real and cellphones are immediate specific to location which can be very important.

As to the classroom usage, the school my kids attended incorporated the phones into their curriculum probably 10 years ago. My kids are now 6 years out of HS so maybe things have changed but I'm still connected enough to the school that I speak to teachers and none have expressed any issues with the phones. Keep in mind, a great deal of the teaching staff grew up with cell phones and probably are more prepared to deal with them.