Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Big Event

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Big Event
    This month's (August) "Big Event" happened 59 years ago today in the capital city of a fairly small landlocked country. This country is not located in Asia, North America, or Africa.

The athlete that set this world record would go on to win an Olympic gold medal in another fifteen days.

Name the event, the athlete, and the site of this "Big Event". Extra credit if you can name the performance mark for this world record.

2. Collapse Details

Could it be Iolanda Balas going over 190?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

3. Collapse Details

Good guess, Pego, but I think we did that one last month (July). Balas cleared 1.90 the year after the Rome Olympics. This particular "Big Event" happened about two weeks before the Olympic Games. I can tell you that the event is sort of similar to the event Iolanda Balas dominated from about 1958 to 1961.

4. Collapse Details

I was thinking of Schmidt's 55'10" bomb, as the timing is perfect, but I think it happened at home in Poland, which is not land-locked.

5. Collapse Details

Another good guess, dukehjsteve, but you are right in saying that Poland is not landlocked. Poland is not a "small" country. Josef Schmidt set his world record in the triple jump about two weeks before our "Big Event".

I can also tell you that Poland and our small landlocked nation are located in the same continent.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Good guess, Pego, but I think we did that one last month (July). Balas cleared 1.90 the year after the Rome Olympics. This particular "Big Event" happened about two weeks before the Olympic Games. I can tell you that the event is sort of similar to the event Iolanda Balas dominated from about 1958 to 1961.
    So, Europe is the best bet, along with Switzerland. Two WRs that year I recall in Switzerland. Hary and Calhoun, the latter of course equalled Later's WR. Must be one of these. However, doesn't seem to fit all of what you wrote. Hurdling over "bar" as in HJ?

7. Collapse Details

You are on the right track, catson52. In fact, you got the country and the last name of the athlete. Yes, you leap over the bar in the high jump and in the hurdles you (sort of) leap over those "bars". Please use your imagination.

Now, you can wrap it up with the athlete's name, the site of the world record (city), and if possible, the actual mark of August 21, 1960.

8. Collapse Details

Glenn Davis' 22.5 WR in the 200 Hurdles around the curve in Switzerland.

9. Collapse Details

Must be Lee Calhoun - won a gold medal at Rome - mentioned above that he tied Lauer's record. I think his best mark was 13.2

10. Collapse Details

Very good, bambam1729. It was Lee Calhoun who ran 13.2 over the 110 hurdles on August 21, 1960 in Switzerland. Anyone know where in Switzerland this happened? No research, please.