Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

1955 - 1965

all other music... crap

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    1955 - 1965

all other music... crap
    I grew up with 1945-1955 music. For me, things started to go downhill after that.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    allow me to nominate '67 as the greatest album year ever

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-smile-199475/
    I second that emotion. It begins and ends with Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. That, Jimi Hendrix, Disraeli Gears and The Doors would be the WR setting 4x100 relay to beat any other year, anywhere, anytime. But I was thirteen then, and we all love the music of our teen years.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Friends, in 1965 the Rolling Stones delivered "(I cant get no) Satisfaction". Nothing was the same after that, and everything that happened that you hippies love and cherish owes dependence on it. Not since Hank Williams delivered "move it on over" in 1947 did the world have to deal with creative lyric and musical genius on the level of Mick Jaggar and Keith Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'll see your 67 and raise 84
    84, I was a handsome youth... but that list has to be a joke. Atticus you are better than that. If you cant trust a keyboard junkie named user4 that was gifted without perfect pitch, then who can you trust ?
    Last edited by user4; 08-18-2019 at 04:31 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Of course we are all heavily biased toward music from our particular "coming of age" years.
    Ergo, '67 is a vintage year for me, '84 for a callow youth like Atticus.

Youngsters now would regard most of the '67 or '71 or '84 hits the way I think about Al Jolson or Rudy Vallee or Bing Crosby music... stuff for grandpa and grandma to tap their feet to.But some music stays fresh and current from every era: Billie Holliday, Ray Charles, early Elvis, early Beatles, Al Green, Fleetwood Mac, David Byrne... it's a long list.

That tech miracle of picking a playlist from music (and often live performances) from the past 100 years is, for me, the best aspect of the tech revolution. My son never appreciated James Brown until I sent him this link hilarious, over-the-top entertaining, 55-year old link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vruy2GRUsV8

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    '84 for a callow youth like Atticus.
    Indeed. A mere pup of 33!

7. Collapse Details

My high school's basketball pep band in the '60s almost exclusively played Glenn Miller tunes. I don't know how long that lasted beyond the '60s, but it was fabulous up-tempo music.

Makes me wonder if "the day the music died" should reference Dec. '44 instead of Feb. '59.

8. Collapse Details

Altho, like everyone else, my musical tastes (sic) were ingrained in my teen years (63-69), and Classic Rock is my jam, Classic Rock has had a steady input into pop music without ceasing. There are bands today I like for the same reasons it was all about the Beatles, Stones, etc., back then. Kings of Leon in the 00s and Greta Van Fleet now, and many others.

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Friends, to understand the how and why of "raw-natural rock-n-roll guitar-talent" look no further than Ritchie Blackmore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx3PK_gTxnM

Ritchie spans over 20 years of classic rock and roll.
    Last edited by user4; 08-18-2019 at 09:26 PM.

10. Collapse Details

On Sirius XM satellite radio currently listening to the 60s Satellite Survey, a weekly show in which they play the top 40 from some year/month/week in the 60s. Now playing - Get Together by the Youngbloods, which was #5 50 years ago this week.