Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Off We Go.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Off We Go.....
    Happy 86th birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who won Olympic gold on a Saturday.

This champion won Olympic gold four days after Thanksgiving.

Our birthday champion shares the same initials as an actor (who recently died) who gained fame on a television variety/comedy show and also made several movies.

No hurdles were involved in either of our birthday athlete's two Olympic gold medals.

Please name this Olympic champion with a birthday on this third Saturday in August.

2. Collapse Details

Once again, I know the answer but I cannot figure out what the subject head is supposed to mean. It doesn't seem to be an anagram. I guess I'll have to wait.

3. Collapse Details

You should go ahead and answer, tandfman. You're right, the title is not an anagram, however the five dots after the three words represent the five words in the rest of the title.

4. Collapse Details

Recently dead comic might be Tim Conway, so it could be Tom Courtney in Melbourne. I know he won 800, but clueless about the second gold (relay perhaps?). Also clueless about the title .
    Last edited by Pego; 08-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details

Happy birthday today to Tom Courtney. Very good, Pego. Courtney won the 1956 Olympic 800 and five days later he anchored (45.7) the winning four by 400 relay team. "Off we go, into the wild blue yonder." Anyone know what this means?

6. Collapse Details

Air Force

7. Collapse Details

Very good, dukehjsteve. Tom Courtney served in the U.S. Air Force. We didn't have a U.S. Air Force until 1947. Before 1947 it was the Army Air Corps. The U.S. Air Force Academy (my opinion) is the most beautiful service academy in the United States. Hard to beat the Colorado Springs location.

8. Collapse Details

Having just visited West Point a few weeks ago, hard to beat that. Have never seen USAFA although I've been to Colorado Springs several times.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    You should go ahead and answer, tandfman. You're right, the title is not an anagram, however the five dots after the three words represent the five words in the rest of the title.
    I didn't answer because I had sort of looked it up. I knew about the song's words, I just didn't know (or didn't remember) that Courtney had ever served in the Air Force.

10. Collapse Details

I met Tom Courtney about 1 1/2 yrs ago for brunch in Florida and what a great human being. Extremely witty with Irish humor and very successful attorney for corporate world. He was just finishing his book and told about the stories that could not be told in print. Everyone should read his short chapter book (easy reading in one day) and enjoy the competitiveness of that era with names of legends. We went back to his home and met Posey, the love of his life for 55+ years and pictures of all his grandchildren and the most important piece of treasure, the 800 m gold medal which brought images to me of seeing that amazing "never give up" pain in his face at Melbourne. In high school it was the teaching lesson of passing the leader as many times as you need to do to get to the tape first.
    "The Inside Track" a very humorous and real life story of a great legend.