Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It could actually be the best conditions ever for a Global Championship - no wind, not too hot, not too cold, no 'weather' at all!!
    More like optimal wind: they experimented with the AC system in the Asian Championships earlier this year, and quite bizarrely, in most finals of the events where the wind was a factor, it was around +1.5m/s.

2. Collapse Details

Not much to add except the alarm bells should be ringing loudly for Schippers. With Doha just over a month away, she'll surely improve but not sure enough to challenge for gold. With SMU out, battle should be between Thompson and DAS.

Okagbare's performances are maddeningly frustrating. I don't know many sprinters who have such variance in their races but history has shown that when it comes to majors, she almost always underperforms.

Is SAFP running the 200 for sure in Doha? In the 100, I favor her over Thompson. Bowie is running out of time, Ta Lou looks like she's already running on fumes, DAS a solid bet for bronze.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    While the times were not that impressive, given the wind conditions, I still found the women's sprints and some of the men's races exciting to watch. Gemili getting a win in front of the home crowd, and a quality steeplechase were also good to see.
    Blake won the race not Gemili.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    Not much to add except the alarm bells should be ringing loudly for Schippers. With Doha just over a month away, she'll surely improve but not sure enough to challenge for gold. With SMU out, battle should be between Thompson and DAS.

Okagbare's performances are maddeningly frustrating. I don't know many sprinters who have such variance in their races but history has shown that when it comes to majors, she almost always underperforms.

Is SAFP running the 200 for sure in Doha? In the 100, I favor her over Thompson. Bowie is running out of time, Ta Lou looks like she's already running on fumes, DAS a solid bet for bronze.
    As it stands today (my caveat!) I see ET doing the double. She beat SAFP in their last championship encounter when SAFP wasn't quite at her best, but then has beaten her at the JAM NCs this year when SAFP was at her best. When it comes to the crunch, they are both a cut above the rest over 100m this season, so they have 1-2 sewn up.

Now, if she isn't injured, I won't be surprised if Bowie wins bronze. This is based purely on her pedigree & previous champs form. She has hardly raced & has gone AWOL after the US Champs again, but I expect her to come out in good form. She has medalled in the last 3 majors over 100m and is the defending champion after all.

Over 200m, even if SMU was competing, I'd wager ET would win anyway. ET's pattern of results this season is very similar to 2016, and I reckon she is ready for a 21.7-21.8 in Doha. I don't think SMU would have done that. I also think that psychologically, DAS will not be able to beat ET. So I see DAS getting the silver. DAS has put together a great series of runs this year but her SB goes back to May and she hasn't improved (on paper). She has been super-consistent though, and she is a championship performer, but I see ET winning.

Though her last race was disappointing, Schippers is in heavy training again. She was starting to close the gap, & I think in the next 5 weeks she will be down to at least her Berlin 2018 level, which will be enough to get bronze & beat SAFP I feel. (she went into Berlin with SBs of 11.01 & 22.34. Thus far in 2019 she has run 11.04 & 22.45.) Again, like Bowie over 100, Schippers has medalled in the last 3 majors over 200m and she is the defending champion. I think she will raise it enough to get her 3rd World champs medal over 200m.
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 08-21-2019 at 09:25 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
    Blake won the race not Gemili.
    Mea culpa. I went back to review the results on the home page, and did not notice that I was looking only at the first heat.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Coleman is out (link on home page)
    So, it this a result of the "missed test" issue?