Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    The article is placed behind a paywall. So was she anorexic for years, or was it just a season or two?
    Apparently it started early in college, continuing until she was 22 years old and 96 lbs in the 1983 World Champs marathon.

In her freshman year of college, she ate chocolate sundaes and weighed 116 pounds. Then diet sodas and lo-cal bread became her staples. No carbohydrate loading for her -- the night before the race she binged on fried spinach patties and strawberry ice cream. Now she remembers that sometimes she felt hungry.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Agree and I hope this lays to rest any anorexia claims. Without any medical training but just my intuition I find it hard to believe someone suffering from anorexia could set a national record in any athletic event.
    Yes, you can certainly perform at high levels for "awhile" while anorexic, but it's certainly hard to maintain over months and multiple years. The fact that Klosterhalfen seems to have continued to improve consistently -- for what, 3-4 years or more now(?) -- suggests to me that she's getting enough fuel in the tank.

There's certainly degrees of anorexia ... and one of those is probably one where you can have continued good performance, but may still have long-term effects that aren't ideal in terms of bone density and other anorexia-related health effects. Perhaps she's right on "the edge" without crossing the line?

3. Collapse Details

Marianne Dickerson had anorexia through multiple years of college up until her silver at the 1983 World Champs marathon (when she was 22), but her body broke down with various ailments soon after that, and she never again approached that performance level. Klosterhalfen is also 22; if she's anorexic her breakdown may be not very far off.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 08-18-2019 at 10:01 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    The fact that Klosterhalfen seems to have continued to improve consistently -- for what, 3-4 years or more now(?)
    Even longer than that. One German poster here wrote he's been following her development for something like 6 years. I first took notice at the 2016 World U20s, and if anything, I think she was even thinner back then than she is now.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

In her freshman year of college, she ate chocolate sundaes and weighed 116 pounds. Then diet sodas and lo-cal bread became her staples. No carbohydrate loading for her -- the night before the race she binged on fried spinach patties and strawberry ice cream.
    That sounds more like bulimia than anorexia.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

That sounds more like bulimia than anorexia.
    That probably was just the night-before meal, not her regular diet.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I don't believe I've heard of a link between anorexia and not able to run at optimal levels (for a while). Doesn't mean there isn't one.
    Here in the UK there have been quite a few examples of extremely slim female runners who have improved greatly between the ages of about 16 to 19 and made British Junior teams who have then either sharply declined or vanished from the sport without racing as seniors. As I understand it, athletes in the short-term may have an improved strength to weight ratio and run quicker* but then have problems in areas like bone density and (in females) menstruation. I know the latter can affect the former?

*increased training will probably be part of it as well but might be combined with no corresponding increase in calorific intake.

8. Collapse Details

Just like some people said here, she's been at least this skinny ever since she emerged, but she's still made great progress during that time. You wouldn't expect someone with a serious eating disorder to be able to do that.

With that said, 4:21 is nowhere near as good as her 1500 best.
    It's about 3 seconds slower, but the conditions were quite bad, and she led much of the way.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

9. Collapse Details

Not that this should come as a huge surprise, but SMU confirmed she's only contesting the w400 in Doha. Her team requested a schedule change but was denied so they are going for just the one event and trying to get the schedule to line up for Tokyo.

Why they don't create the schedule so someone like SMU (and Michael Norman) can double is beyond me.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post

Why they don't create the schedule so someone like SMU (and Michael Norman) can double is beyond me.
    Intelligence has nothing to do with being an IAAF employee.