Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 106
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    On paper it isn't. In the 200/800, the sum of KJT's PBs scores 2099 to 1832 for Nafi, but in the SP/JT, it's 1929 for Nafi vs. 1460 for KJT. Thiam gains 200 points more in the throws than she loses on the track. The key question is whether she can get back to her JT best after the injury that hampered her throwing in Talence. We know she's in great shape in pretty much everything else.
    Heat in Doha a good thing or a bad thing for multis? Hydration harder to manage but perhaps less warm up required?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Heat in Doha a good thing or a bad thing for multis? Hydration harder to manage but perhaps less warm up required?
    If the stadium stays at the AC temp advertised, they will have perfect conditions throughout.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    If the stadium stays at the AC temp advertised, they will have perfect conditions throughout.
    This reminds me of something I've been pondering: Is the meet still an outdoor meet if it's inside? Is there an actual standard roof height or is it simply track size? Can you have an "outdoor" meet...inside a building?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,054
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    This reminds me of something I've been pondering: Is the meet still an outdoor meet if it's inside? Is there an actual standard roof height or is it simply track size? Can you have an "outdoor" meet...inside a building?
    I don't believe the Doha stadium is completely enclosed.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I don't believe the Doha stadium is completely enclosed.
    I'm guessing the operant physics is that the cool air stays down on the track and the hot air rises up thru the opening of the roof.

    It could actually be the best conditions ever for a Global Championship - no wind, not too hot, not too cold, no 'weather' at all!!
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-19-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    On paper it isn't. In the 200/800, the sum of KJT's PBs scores 2099 to 1832 for Nafi, but in the SP/JT, it's 1929 for Nafi vs. 1460 for KJT. Thiam gains 200 points more in the throws than she loses on the track. The key question is whether she can get back to her JT best after the injury that hampered her throwing in Talence. We know she's in great shape in pretty much everything else.
    Aye, I'm not working on PBs though, rather likely results :-) But you are right, Thiam will still probably have a bigger pts over those 4 events, but I see it as way less than 200 because she wont be throwing high 50s in the JT.I am not sure she will be back to her very best in the JT, but I can still envisage over 50m. One hopes it doesn't affect her SP either though
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 08-19-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Pinto did indeed look great, looked so much taller in her running, hips high, so when she got into full flow, she looked great and moved away from the rest of the field. Is she allowed to double in the 100 and 200 or do he German selectors want/tell her to choose?

    6m off the pace is a big distance for Okagbare and Schippers in five weeks and if conditioning is the issue post injury, that's going to be harder to find for the 200m than perhaps the 100m. Okagbare was pretty philosophical in her post race interview and the need to focus on herself and not others around her.
    So, she has been initially selected for the 100, 200 and relay, but it remains to be seen whether they allow her to run all 3. Laura Muller, 3rd fastest over 100m on paper this season (11.15) still hasn't got over her injuries, so she's ended her season. That weakens the 4x100 (for the first time in ages the GER team likely to race in Doha still haven't raced together this year!). Mihambo (4th fastest) hasn't been named in either the 100 or 4x1 either.

    Okabare has always been a bit up and down, so I am not sure whether this year is any different. She says she's not injured for once, so maybe that explains previous years, so was Bham a head issue as you say? Re Schippers, she's never been this poor and erratic. In each race prior to Bham she was getting closer to Dina and the others: 0.6 behind her in Stockholm down to 0.2 behind her at Pre; only 0.02 behind Thompson on Monaco. But now she's gone back to 0.45 behind. However, she was behind right from the gun, so I am thinking it is just heavy training. We shall see.

    With SMU's announcement, I am thinking the w200 will look something like Thompson > DAS > Schippers > SAFP.

    In the 100, I believe it will be ET > SAFP > Bowie > DAS.

    Bowie has gone AWOL again like she has past seasons but you can bet she will come out in form.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm guessing the operant physics is that the cool air stays down on the track and the hot air rises up thru the opening of the roof.

    It could actually be the best conditions ever for a Global Championship - no wind, not too hot, not too cold, no 'weather' at all!!
    Except that the athletes will still have to cope with the heat outside the stadium. I suppose the warmup track doesn't have AC.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Is there a reason why a set schedule is not always used every year for OG/WC?
    Do they just want to create random discussion about if a double is possible or not?
    Accommodate the 1/2, 2/4, 15/5 5/10. Maybe even the 8/15 if you want.
    I wish they had a schedule that spanned two weekends, with the 100, 400, 1500, and 10,000 on the first weekend, and the 200, 800, 5,000, and marathon on the second. That would allow a 100/200, 200/400, 400/800, 800/1500, 1500/5,000, and 5/10 double. But it only works if the meet spans two weekends, and begins early enough to have heats for the first weekend finals. Field events, relays, and hep/dec would be split between the two weekends also, or spread out during the intervening week.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,937
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    I wish they had a schedule that spanned two weekends, with the 100, 400, 1500, and 10,000 on the first weekend, and the 200, 800, 5,000, and marathon on the second.
    Well, it DOES span two weekends; they just weren't smart enough to do what seems super-obvious to us.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •