Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 106
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    3,185
    Man, what an uneventful meet (unless a Belgian NR in the wLJ gets you excited). Just looked at my eTN and nothing from Birmingham was boldfaced!
    "Run fast and keep turning left."
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #92
    Quote Originally Posted by trackstar View Post
    Man, what an uneventful meet (unless a Belgian NR in the wLJ gets you excited). Just looked at my eTN and nothing from Birmingham was boldfaced!

    Nobody sent me the memo that the meet of the weekend would be in Fukui, Japan. Who knew!!!!
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #93
    SMU is probably the top female star at the moment on current form (I know SAFP is still a much bigger global star based on their careers). She is also unbeaten this year in both 200m and 400m and has the looks to sell tickets. For IAAF not to be able to work out a schedule that allows her to double is incompetence beyond belief, especially when the schedule in 1996 allowed Johnson to double when there were even four rounds rather than the three rounds we have now.

    She is also not able to do the Mixed Relay where Bahamas could have had a chance (assuming Gardiner is fit) because it is before the 400m finals if I recall correctly.

    With such level of incompetence and with Bolt now retired, is there much hope for the sport?
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #94
    Quote Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
    SMU is probably the top female star at the moment on current form (I know SAFP is still a much bigger global star based on their careers). She is also unbeaten this year in both 200m and 400m and has the looks to sell tickets. For IAAF not to be able to work out a schedule that allows her to double is incompetence beyond belief. With such level of incompetence and with Bolt now retired, is there much hope for the sport?
    Probably don't care and didn't give it a second's thought.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #95
    Quote Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
    SMU is probably the top female star at the moment on current form (I know SAFP is still a much bigger global star based on their careers). She is also unbeaten this year in both 200m and 400m and has the looks to sell tickets. For IAAF not to be able to work out a schedule that allows her to double is incompetence beyond belief, especially when the schedule in 1996 allowed Johnson to double when there were even four rounds rather than the three rounds we have now.

    She is also not able to do the Mixed Relay where Bahamas could have had a chance (assuming Gardiner is fit) because it is before the 400m finals if I recall correctly.

    With such level of incompetence and with Bolt now retired, is there much hope for the sport?
    What he said!
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    SMU, in one of her beloved outer lanes, just beating DAS. I wonder would she have done the same from lane 4? Always getting your preferred lane 6 or 7 in big DL meets is great, but it doesn't represent what could happen in a Champs where she could end up with lane 4 or 5. IIRC, the last time SMU ran a big race not in lane 6 or 7 was London 2017.
    Lyles addressed this in an interview. Their coach is risk averse. He prefers them to have the outer lanes in Diamond League meets because he can balance volume racing throughout the year around tight turns with associated risk.

    In a global Championship however, he was keen to point out that they train to run from any lane. Such would also apply to Miller as they share the same camp.

    Evidence would suggest he is correct. Miller ran 22.09 to beat Asher-Smith, Jackson and Thompson from the extremely tight lane 3 in 2018 breaking the CWG Record. Had Miller run from lane 4 or 5 in BHAM I would expect the result to be no different.
    Last edited by scorpionking; 08-21-2019 at 04:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    We'll see in Doha, but they just might be in training (less rest) in order to peak at the WC.
    Yeah, I hope you are right but time is starting to run out now. Should like to know what the deal is with Vetter.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Okabare has always been a bit up and down, so I am not sure whether this year is any different. She says she's not injured for once, so maybe that explains previous years, so was Bham a head issue as you say? Re Schippers, she's never been this poor and erratic. In each race prior to Bham she was getting closer to Dina and the others: 0.6 behind her in Stockholm down to 0.2 behind her at Pre; only 0.02 behind Thompson on Monaco. But now she's gone back to 0.45 behind. However, she was behind right from the gun, so I am thinking it is just heavy training. We shall see.
    Schippers and Okagbare are experienced campaigners so you'd like to think they understand the process and will prepare themselves for Doha. There's no surprise we've a late world champs and perhaps what we saw was the various levels of fitness and I also thought Schippers was getting quicker.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #99
    Quote Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
    SMU is probably the top female star at the moment on current form (I know SAFP is still a much bigger global star based on their careers). She is also unbeaten this year in both 200m and 400m and has the looks to sell tickets. For IAAF not to be able to work out a schedule that allows her to double is incompetence beyond belief, especially when the schedule in 1996 allowed Johnson to double when there were even four rounds rather than the three rounds we have now.

    She is also not able to do the Mixed Relay where Bahamas could have had a chance (assuming Gardiner is fit) because it is before the 400m finals if I recall correctly.

    With such level of incompetence and with Bolt now retired, is there much hope for the sport?
    At this rate, Im convinced the IAAF is actually trying to create a schedule that would have the 200m and 400m go off at the exact same time!
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by trackstar View Post
    Man, what an uneventful meet (unless a Belgian NR in the wLJ gets you excited). Just looked at my eTN and nothing from Birmingham was boldfaced!
    While the times were not that impressive, given the wind conditions, I still found the women's sprints and some of the men's races exciting to watch. Gemili getting a win in front of the home crowd, and a quality steeplechase were also good to see.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •