Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Music From 1969

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    There are DOZENS of great songs from that year, but here's my hastily conceived top 10:

HM. BB King - The Thrill Is Gone

10. Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay
    9. Simon & Garfunkle - The Boxer
    8. CS&N - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
    7. Cream - Crossroads
    6. Who - Pinball Wizard
    5. Zombies - Time of the Season
    4. Youngbloods - Get Together (THE song of the Hippie Era)
    3. Stones - Gimme Shelter

1.&2. (can't separate them)

Beatles - Come Together
    Lad Zepp - Whole Lotta Love
    Good list. Although I was born late '67 so I'm too young for first-hand memories of these. Will have to look up the Youngbloods.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Good list. Although I was born late '67 so I'm too young for first-hand memories of these. Will have to look up the Youngbloods.
    Atticus is right that Get Together by the Youngbloods was the anthem of the last few years of the 60s

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    interesting history of Get Together (from Wiki), which is anything but a '69 song, even for The Youngbloods:

<<The song was originally recorded as "Let's Get Together" by the Kingston Trio in a live performance in March 1964 that was released on June 1, 1964,...

A version of the song first broke into the top forty in 1965, when We Five, produced by Kingston Trio manager Frank Werber, released "Let's Get Together" as the follow-up to their top ten hit "You Were on My Mind". ...

"Let's Get Together" was the third song on side 2 of the Jefferson Airplane's first album, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, released in August 1966. ....

In 1967, the Youngbloods released their version of the song under the title "Get Together". It became a minor Hot 100 hit for them, peaking at number 62 and reaching 37 on the US adult contemporary chart.[6] However, renewed interest in the Youngbloods' version came when it was used in a radio public service announcement as a call for brotherhood by the National Conference of Christians and Jews.[2] The Youngbloods' version, the most-remembered today, was re-released in 1969, peaking at number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100.[7]..... >>

I was always partial to the Airplane's version (even though it was pre-Grace Slick, with Signe Toly Anderson in her place).

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    interesting history of Get Together (from Wiki), which is anything but a '69 song, even for The Youngbloods:
    I actually did know the backstory - none of which changes the idea that the Youngbloods' version was indeed the iconic hippie song of the era.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I..... none of which changes the idea that the Youngbloods' version was indeed the iconic hippie song of the era.
    no, but the existence of White Rabbit does

6. Collapse Details

no, but the existence of White Rabbit does
    That was THE song of Psychedelic Rock!

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Speaking of 1969...Peter Fonda died..

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/p...mpression=true

8. Collapse Details

<<The song was originally recorded as "Let's Get Together" by the Kingston Trio in a live performance in March 1964 that was released on June 1, 1964,...

A version of the song first broke into the top forty in 1965, when We Five, produced by Kingston Trio manager Frank Werber, released "Let's Get Together" as the follow-up to their top ten hit "You Were on My Mind". ...

"Let's Get Together" was the third song on side 2 of the Jefferson Airplane's first album, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, released in August 1966. ....

In 1967, the Youngbloods released their version of the song under the title "Get Together". It became a minor Hot 100 hit for them, peaking at number 62 and reaching 37 on the US adult contemporary chart.[6] However, renewed interest in the Youngbloods' version came when it was used in a radio public service announcement as a call for brotherhood by the National Conference of Christians and Jews.[2] The Youngbloods' version, the most-remembered today, was re-released in 1969, peaking at number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100.[7]..... >>

I was always partial to the Airplane's version (even though it was pre-Grace Slick, with Signe Toly Anderson in her place).
    Check out the version by composer Dino Valenti (Chet Powers) on YT. Not sure I can post the link here. This would have been pre Quicksilver Messenger Service.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Speaking of 1969...Peter Fonda died..

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/p...mpression=true
    We blew it! (Billy)
    A very special movie. I liked Peter Fonda. Last time I saw him was in "The Limey" in 1999.

10. Collapse Details

Cannot think of Fonda without being reminded of the music track that I most associate with 1969: The Weight by The Band