Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    There were a lot of potential sub-4 milers, some of whom had unnecessary barriers. And the 1500 mark was worth about 4:01. No one else is on par with 2:01:39. While maybe naive, I think that his 2:01 is better than his aided time trial. Running 21km/hr is just short of 6mps and we know what a 6mps wind does in the sprints. I would be that EK does a lot of 21km/hr tempo runs.
    No argument, his standing WR is superior, as it was done with minimal aid from others. I understand that records should be free of this type of rabbit-driven chase, but we do not discount the outstanding Junior performances of individuals who achieved those times against Senior competition. Just my two cents, and not at all meant to be controversial.

2. Collapse Details

I want to see them organize some legit record-eligible elite marathons on race car courses (without the rotating pacers etc.). It can have thousands of paying spectators in the stands, unlike road marathons where the spectators watch for free, and it wouldn't require blocking off public roads. A properly chosen course should also facilitate some good times.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    I want to see them organize some legit record-eligible elite marathons on race car courses (without the rotating pacers etc.). It can have thousands of paying spectators in the stands,...
    seriously?!!!

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I think the only way you get people to come to something like that is don't charge and offer free beer....

5. Collapse Details

Nice to see a firm not named Nike putting some money into elite-level endurance sports, as Ineos also sponsors the cycling team of Egan Bernal and Geraint Thomas, 1-2 at this year's Tour, and four-time winner Chris Froome.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Nice to see a firm not named Nike putting some money into elite-level endurance sports, as Ineos also sponsors the cycling team of Egan Bernal and Geraint Thomas, 1-2 at this year's Tour, and four-time winner Chris Froome.
    I wrote my "Al's Athletics Tidbits" yesterday about this, and I included a link to the article; when I sent the message, the server bounced it as "spam or virus". When I removed the link, it went through. ?????
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    I want to see them organize some legit record-eligible elite marathons on race car courses (without the rotating pacers etc.). It can have thousands of paying spectators in the stands, unlike road marathons where the spectators watch for free, and it wouldn't require blocking off public roads. A properly chosen course should also facilitate some good times.
    On the contrary, it's much harder to get any spectators on a course like that (never mind paying ones), since they're generally some distance away from cities, as opposed to regular commercial races, which take place in city centers. OTOH, motor race courses are generally nearly completely flat, I believe, and therefore more conducive to fast times than any normal race.

8. Collapse Details

Of course, Breaking 2 was at a flat grand prix course....I suppose they could have had a large crowd for that...a thousand maybe.....but Nike wouldn't allow the general public in....and obviously more trouble than it was worth .....

9. Collapse Details

How is this any different then men pacing a women to the finish line in a mixed women's record attempt?

10. Collapse Details

Philosophically none...though the effect for women is less since they go significantly slower.